Today marks ten years and 2500+ posts of blogging here. Can you believe it? I still kind of can't. The other night I spent lots of time reading old blog posts and looking through old pictures from the past ten years, and the only deep thing I concluded is that lots of unimportant things have changed, but some really important things have stayed the same. The picture above, for example, is of me and my childhood BFF Tim, almost exactly ten years ago at his 17th birthday party. Unimportant things that have changed: I don't flip my hair out with a small barrel curling iron, have braces, or have way-too-thin eyebrows anymore, and Tim (hopefully) doesn't wear red ties and black dress shirts anymore. Important thing that hasn't changed: Tim and I, through the miracle of the internet and social networking, are still friends and keep in touch—something I would not have thought would be the case when I left for college almost ten years ago. Thank you, blogging!
All of my early blog posts are littered with LOLs and complaints about boys, but they are kind of hilarious and I miss hilarious 16 year-old me. I posted 3-4 times a day sometimes! And I always had something ridiculous yet insightful to say—usually commentary about daytime TV, Ben Affleck, or John Mayer. And then we get to college, where my blogging tapered off due to time spent doing homework/thinking about doing homework but not actually doing it, or thinking about boys I had a crush on. Then midway through there I met Robbie—my blogging definitely took a nosedive there, which makes me a little bit sad, because I really would love to hear what I had to say about Robbie at the time. And now? I spend more time reading other people's blogs than writing on my own, and when I do post anything, it's pictures of stuff. Wah wah.
The most important thing to me about blogging now is that I'm able to keep in touch with people, and that I'm able to meet new people from all over the place. It's a little bit insane how big the blogging world is, yet it is kind of teeny-tiny because of the connections people feel comfortable making. This is how I like to live my life in the real world, so I'm glad that blogging has turned into a community and a "thing" that people do.
Here are some of my favorite posts from the archives from each year of blogging. Some funny, some serious—all awkward and about boys. Bear with me while I pull these skeletons out of the closet.
- On sixteen year-old me (what the heck was up with my taste in music?)
- On breaking up with your first boyfriend (bonus from 2003 for fellow MHS-ers: when my German teacher called me to ask me to explain the plot of "Alias" to her)
- On celebrities, and movies that are "sensitive and true" (I just laugh that I appear to have such a tenuous relationship with my mom in some of these posts. Being a teenager is tough.)
- On weird roommates
- On being vague when a boy breaks your heart
- On being vague when you fall in like with a boy (I wrote this post right before Robbie and I had our first kiss/went on our second date [in that order]) (side note: 2007 was actually a GREAT year for blogging and life in general—deserves its own retrospective.)
- On being still (good reminder)
- On Paris
- On writing notes to my younger self
- On accomplishments, love, and loss
Being a mom of a teenager is tough. Remember that when your kids are teens!!
ReplyDeleteI think your blog is cool. Obviously. Congrats on the anniversary!
ReplyDeleteI owe a lot to this blog. Including the entertainment I just got from reading these posts. I'm always really scared to look at my early posts.
ReplyDeletei had no idea blogger was even around 10 years ago!! that's crazy! happy anniversary :)
ReplyDeleteYou practically invented blogging. I read of few of those old posts and enjoyed myself. Love your blog, Bloggy Queen!
ReplyDeleteAgain.. I'm SO impressed by this! Especially when some hugely "popular" bloggers brag they've been blogging for five years. You win.. hands down at blogger of the century! Ha
ReplyDeleteAnd I love that you recorded that time period. I have some sweet journals of my college years chuch full of concert tickets, pictures of boys I dated (ahem made out of with ) and parties with friends. Unfortch.. I stoppped right when I met Graham. I'm so bummed that I didn't journal my early feelings about him.
Man, I feel like I learned so much about you reading some of those posts! Funny stuff and also really great stuff. :) It's interesting to compare some of the stuff you wrote to who you are now. This makes me glad I decided not to give up on my blog after all. Even though I'm embarrassed by some of my first posts... this shows me that I should just embrace how much I've changed. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's been a great ten years Hannah (although I don't think I started reading your blog until senior year of high school, so I missed out on some of the really early stuff)!
ReplyDeleteI am so especially glad that you linked to the post about Frau calling you; I do NOT remember you telling me about that in school (but I'm sure you did)!
Here's to ten more great ones!
I think it's fabulous that you can look back on those ten years all in one place. Way to be dedicated.
ReplyDeleteButch... I just traveled back in time.
ReplyDeleteWish I had been reading when you first started. Anyways, love your blog, love you too. Thanks for entertaining me on a regular basis. I wish I saw you in person more often!
ReplyDelete