(I didn't realize when I was taking the picture how prominent RUSSELL BRAND was)
In June we took a weekend trip to Chicago—I guess you could call count it as a babymoon? But I hate that word so I won't. Plus Robbie had some work stuff to do there so it wasn't all play. But it was mostly play.
Based off of this first-ever visit, I love, LOVE Chicago. Granted, I haven't been there in the horrendous winter. But the weekend we spent there was enough to sell me on living there one day. The weather was pretty much perfect, and I still fit into normal pants at the time (just barely—you can kinda see my bursting zipper in one of those pictures) so I was feeling pretty comfortable walking around town and eating everything in sight. Oh, the food! Chicago!
Also, Robbie and I were remarking to each other on this trip how we used to refer to Chicago as being on the east coast. When you live in the west for most of your life it's easy to think that anything east of Colorado is on the "east coast" but Chicago couldn't be further from that, both in terms of its location and in terms of how freaking nice everyone is there. I sure do love the people of the midwest. I wish that more of them would move away and spread their niceness all around the country.
We got to fit in a lot of sight-seeing, mostly of the architectural variety (Frank Lloyd Wright post to come later), and the city itself is just really beautiful to look at. It makes me sad that more American cities don't make it as much of a priority to preserve their past. With my work badge we got into the Art Institute for free, which is huge and a little overwhelming but we got to see most of the museum. We also fit in a brief visit with our old friends Cree and Amanda, who just moved to Chicago from Ann Arbor. We got to a Cubs game, where they played the Pirates, making it the second of three times we accidentally saw the Pirates play this year. I also more or less figured out the bus system, which I counted as a huge triumph.
Two thumbs up, Chicago! Sorry it took me a while to get to talking about you. I just wanted to let the memory live on forever.
I would love to see Chicago too. I had a roommate at BYU who was from Chicago - who corrected us often about the fact that she was not from the East but from the Midwest. And I loved her accent! (Which she swore she didn't have!)
ReplyDeleteOh man, I've been so homesick and these pictures are tugging at my heart! Chicago is the best city, hands down. I'm glad you guys could make a trip out there, it's been a wonderful summer.
ReplyDeleteMmm. I love Chicago. Of course that goes without saying. But I love Chicago. Glad you got to enjoy it. This is the very best time of year. It makes the rest of the year bearable. barely.
ReplyDeleteYES! Chicago is such a great city. If I were to live in a city again, it'd be at the top of my list to consider. So glad you appreciated its charms! (And I think it has the best skyline of all the major cities. :-)
ReplyDelete