04 August 2013

whoop! there it is

Welcome, third trimester!

IMG_9080
IMG_9074

Thus far my pregnancy has been uneventful (except for the time at thirteen weeks I threw up in the gutter of a Big Lots parking lot in the ghetto), for which I am extremely grateful and fortunate. But today my body seemed to say "okay, it's officially your third trimester, so you better get used to being uncomfortable." While we were waiting for our friends' baby's baptism to begin this afternoon I suddenly started feeling dizzy and the room started spinning so I spent most of the ceremony in the dark basement of the church chugging a ton of water to combat what was probably dehydration, and then a couple minutes after Robbie took these pictures I went inside and pulled off my bra because my ribcage has expanded too much for me to comfortably fit in it anymore. So, you know. Minor inconveniences. But it would be nice to be able to wear a bra again.

I really do feel good though. I started really showing a couple of weeks ago so now I've gotten a couple of random stranger compliments, and the baby moves around like crazy. I love and crave fish (used to hate it) and really spicy food. When I eat dessert/processed sugar (which I'm not supposed to be doing thanks to our midwife practice's strict nutrition guidelines) I get severe headaches, so I guess that's probably a good thing since I'm not supposed to be doing it. It is hard to sit and watch people eat my favorite treats in front of me so I hope my perseverance pays off in the end.

I'm still biking around town, and I'm wondering when I'm going to start losing my balance and can't do it anymore. A really nice (and fit) woman was riding behind me up the Hill the other day as I was huffing and puffing my way up and she said "You know, I had my first baby 6 months ago and I was riding almost until my due date and I think it really helped me bounce back afterward, so keep up the good work!" It was really encouraging and it makes me happy that I haven't gotten lots of unsolicited advice or rude comments from strangers. People really are nice. Except for like 90% of Metro riders who never offer me their seat on crowded trains.

Speaking of Metro, please bless that I won't have my baby on the Metro platform.

We don't know the sex of the baby, but Robbie thinks it's a boy. I kind of do too because I've had lots of dreams about it being a boy (even before I was pregnant), but then I had two girl dreams recently and I just don't know what to believe anymore. People sometimes ask me if I want one over the other, but really—I'm just happy to be here, folks.

I am nesting up a storm and I've made hats, blankets, and burp cloths galore. We're also spending lots of time rearranging and buying new furniture (mostly just stuff with drawers) and our house looks like a construction zone.

Thanks to magic grease-zapping hormones, I only have to wash my hair every week and a half. What?? Can this last forever, please? That kind of makes up for the sugar-induced migraines.

Robbie is done traveling for work. HALLELUJAH.

I can't believe we're just twelve weeks away from D-Day because that seems really close and also really far away.

But I'm super excited.

11 comments:

  1. You look great, and I am super excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy smokes your hair is long and awesome. I had a few similar near-fainting experiences and water usually fixed it. You're doing great and I'm impressed by your biking. Can't wait to meet tiny ham!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the update, i've been wondering how that baby's been treating you. you look great and kudos for biking still. i came to a point where i didn't like that weird feeling in your lower abdomen when you bend over to reach the handbars, so i stopped, but i bet you could ride your bike to the hospital on D-Day if you really wanted to - you can do anything! you're super woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! Keep up the good work - we are excited for the big day too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAH! I'm super excited for you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh. your hair looks so good. the rest of you too, but your hair is killing me. my last dizzy bout happened during belle & sebastian's third song (and my last) at twilight. boobah. and I'm seriously impressed with your ability to bike. I can hardly walk more than five minutes at a time and can only do about ten minutes of yoga before my lung capacity gives out. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luminous pregnancy hair is the best part of the whole thing. You are so adorable and I'm sorry I was one of the bike naysayers. I'm just super impressed - I couldn't bike after about 25 weeks - I was too uncomfortable! You are a rockstar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look beautiful, Hannah!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so pretty! And your hair! And your dress. Oh man, I forgot about the expanding ribcage. Awesome job biking. And not sugaring. (For me that would take more willpower than biking.) I'm so excited for Lil Ham to come. And you know I'm partial to fall babies. Come on, fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are gorgeous! so exited for you!!

    ReplyDelete