A trip to Chicago also means a trip to see all the Frank Lloyd Wright sites. We didn't plan very well so we missed the last tour of the Robie House when we were in Hyde Park for an afternoon, but we got to tour the Rookery (which was right around the corner from our hotel) and spent the afternoon in Oak Park touring Wright's home and studio and a neighborhood full of houses that he designed. It also happened to be FLW's birthday that day so the bust of Wright in the neighborhood was properly hatted for the occasion.
Not much to say about that day except I had major home and neighborhood envy—in true Midwestern fashion, all of the people in the neighborhood that we chatted with while we were passing by the homes were so super nice, which I thought was admirable considering they probably get a lot of strangers asking weird questions. Also, I really admire the way that FLW used space so efficiently and it really inspired us to do more with less. Even though old Frankie wasn't the most upstanding man in terms of his personal life and was also kind of kooky he sure was a genius.
Can I just say I am very envious of your visitations to so many FLW sites?? I need to put that on my list of things to do!!
ReplyDeleteah! I want to go there!
ReplyDelete