09 November 2011

i get by with a little help from my friends

Remember how I said I was busy with a little side project? Well, here she is.

blog_title

I've been participating in a workshop run by the Mobile Learning Institute for the past few weeks where we focus on developing innovative learning strategies. When I was trying to decide what strategy I'd like to test, I thought about three things I really enjoy—DC, meeting new people, and blogging—and decided to combine them!

The result is DiscoverYourDC.com—a DIY approach to exploring the District.  My goal is to compile itineraries of things to do in DC and share them with readers. I've even gotten a few submissions from friends so far that have really made the participatory aspect really fun. I've been wondering for the past little while how I could create a sort of tour guide for locals, and I think that this project really has some long-term potential.

Here's where I could use your help.

I know there are quite a few DC-area residents who read this blog, and even some former residents of DC that still hold the city near and dear to their hearts. I'd really love for you to check out the blog—maybe even think of an itinerary or two that you'd like to submit! I know that there are many interesting outings and neighborhoods that I'm missing out on, so it would be really fun to hear from some of my readers here—especially since there are many of you that I don't know very well. Plus, there's obviously a lot of room for growth in terms of content, as you'll see on the blog :)

If you're on Facebook... you can "like" the Discover Your DC page!

If you're on Twitter... you can follow us @DiscoverYourDC!

Thanks for indulging me in my little PSA—you guys are the bomb.

17 comments:

  1. This is pretty brilliant. When I travel I always like to hang out where the locals do, as I think I get to know the real heart of the place. This will definitely do that. Can't wait to see and experience all the itinieraries and maybe submit a couple of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm really wishing that I lived in dc

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go! the site looks awesome, and I am really excited about it. even though I've lived here for 2 years, I never know what to do. I'm really excited to try some new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So crazy! I just 'liked' Discover your D.C. on facebook and I didn't even realize you were the one who came up with it! And then I went to read my blogs and I saw this. Basically you're amazing. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! that's cool! you're cool hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this! I'm going to start brainstorming...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I love the look of the site too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great project. i no nothing about DC, but would love to have this as a resource for a future trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That site looks great, Hannah! I think you are a natural when it comes to being a tour guide. You've got the networking ability, the knowledge of the city, and the skillzzz to put them together!

    Unfortunately I don't live in DC myself, but I look forward to following how the site develops (and using it myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:18 PM

    what a great idea! i've been in dc for 5 years now and am always amazed at how many "must do's" i still haven't done yet! excited to see what people submit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, this is genius!! the only time i've really been to DC was in 8th grade....but i have 2 sisters that live out in that area that keep telling me to come visit. i will definitely have to tell them about this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:21 PM

    Yay! I'm visiting DC again in February and hope to be going to grad school there in 2013. I will definitely use these, it will make the District even more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool idea; very cool execution. That's my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great blog!! I need to plan a longer trip to DC!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is great, hannah! the design is pretty darn cool, too! way to go. it's always nice to have something to point people to who come to dc. will use this in the future.

    ReplyDelete