I'm having a major seasonal crisis right now—I'm listening to Christmas music (mostly because I want some seasonal music, and there's not much Thanksgiving music out there), while snacking on homemade caramel corn and really hoping that all the leaves on the trees won't be gone when I wake up tomorrow. I want Christmas to come, but this fall weather in DC has just been so amazing that I don't want it to leave. I guess I can't have one foot in each season, can I? I guess that's why people live on the west coast—winter brings all of the benefits of the Christmas season without the horrible weather.
Well, I digress. Fall beauty is at its peak right now. I spent Friday afternoon with Eliza and her kids at the National Arboretum, or the "arburrito" as Theo likes to call it. The only time I've ever been to the Arboretum was in the winter, so I really wasn't prepared for the shock of autumn I experienced. Do the pictures fail to capture the beauty? Probably. I said "I can't believe these colors! I can't believe this weather!" approximately 900 times. Other than the chilly wind, the weather was pretty much perfect. Clear blue skies, sunny, and flaming red and orange trees as far as the eye could see. It was so awesome that Matt and Robbie were jealous (probably) and we all went back today for another round of autumnal beauty. The second visit was also great because we saw some highlights that we missed on Friday, like the bonsai house (tiny trees never fail to amuse me) and the koi that were hiding deep underwater because of the too-cold weather. I really can't wait to see this place in spring.
Since I'm talking about great DC things, thanks to everyone for your comments and likes/folllows/general well-wishing on my last post! Keep the comments coming, and be sure to keep checking out the blog! There will be a new itinerary every Wednesday, so you won't want to miss out.
Great pictures. Kids in puffy jackets are too cute!!!!
ReplyDeletelove that place!! The tiny, ancient bonsais are too adorable for words. Btw, we had adam and allison over for dinner the other night and had such a fun time talking about you guys! mostly good things ;) miss you.
ReplyDeleteYou take such awesome pictures! I've never been to the arboretum- its beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos. I'm having that same panicky feeling about fall. The weather and colors have been amazing and I know it's going to be gone any day now. I will never get tired of the arboretum. The spring blossoms are beautiful there and the flowering dogwoods in the summer are lovely too. It's a great place to bring bikes.
ReplyDeleteoh man. i miss that dc place.
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures! That lens has to go on my (long) list of things I want to get someday. Of course it won't magically make my pictures as good as yours, just better than they are now.
ReplyDeleteAlso--I am obsessed with the Capitol columns. They look so mysterious and ancient just...standing there in the middle of a field.
Is that supposed to be some faux Roman ruins? The place looks great - way better than our arboretum!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteI also looked on the discover your dc blog. Very nice. Makes me want to visit.