16 May 2011

master of the scene

IMG_5821

May 15, 2011

IMG_5830

May 15, 20111
(Matchy matchy, pink squared. Cubed?)

IMG_5838
(Emily, HOW did I not see you sitting right behind me??!? I just noticed you here as I was uploading the picture. Haha.)

IMG_5840

IMG_5841

May 15, 20112

May 15, 20113

IMG_5859

Well, I've graduated. I have the medal and the hood to prove it. The weather for Saturday's college convocations was questionable, but Sunday was a beautiful day to sit and bake on the National Mall in a cap and stinky gown made of recycled water bottles. (I'm not kidding.) GW had sent out an email warning us that it would be highly likely that it would rain and that we should bring something to wipe off our seats, and to wear rain-appropriate shoes... so I wore my rainboots. If you can't tell from the pictures, it was Not Necessary. Even though it was gorgeous on Sunday, I was being a little whiner because the forecast was all doom and gloom so I canceled the picnic with friends that I had been planning for weeks—according to the forecast late on Saturday night, there was an 85% chance of lightning storms on Sunday! I kid you not. I kept repeating on Sunday, "It'll rain any minute now, just you wait." Not only did it never rain, I got a little sunburn across my face. But whatever. I'm over it. :) It was a great weekend, and I was especially lucky to have my parents AND my sister + family along for the adventure. They were great sports and we had a lot of fun together.

Anyway, graduation was great. There were lots of bedazzled caps and gowns, most notably represented by the Master of Art Therapy and Master of Forensic Sciences candidates. (The latter may seem surprising but they were very creative with caution tape and little chalk outlines taped on their caps.) Mayor Bloomberg spoke at commencement, and there was a really funny chemistry professor who gave a great speech at convocation. I felt inspired, and also slightly afraid to face Monday morning since everyone kept referencing the uncertainty of the day after graduation in their speeches. But I made it through today okay.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your support. Especially to mi esposito Robbie, who got the brunt of my complaining and tears. School was tough, but it was worth it. It helped me prove to myself that I can do hard things.

And it feels good.

28 comments:

  1. yay! yay! yay! can't wait until it's my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!! congratulations to you!

    i walked in april, but i still have a thesis to finish. (30 june, 30 june, 30 june...)

    but yay for you! i bet it feels great to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color coordination. Congrats!

    P.S. Eliza is the cutest little pregnant woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl. I can't believe you're already done with this! I'm sure you can though. Your outfit choices were great, by the way. And does the subtitle on that big screen say "warlock convention"? And is that Shayna Proctor's sister?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congraduations!

    So it's not master of the sea...or master of deceit.

    I never knew what it was. I guess master of the scene is the only thing that makes sense anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lolz at the warlock convention question. that was an awkward Charlie Sheen joke from Bloomberg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. veronica—HA! i just noticed that too. apparently a bunch of fraternities had been petitioning for charlie sheen to come speak at graduation so of course he had his speech writer make some awkward jokes about it. and yes, that's shayna's sister emily! we are in the same ward.

    eliza—please see my post on the "masters of the sea/scene" debate: http://hayna.blogspot.com/2007/02/masters-of-sea-okay-another-break-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. you rocked those rain boots, uncomfortable or not. so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Amazing accomplishment. Congratulations! And bummed the picnic didn't work out. We were looking forward to celebrating with you. Why is it so hard to get an accurate weather forecast!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Hannah! I know you've been looking forward to this for a loooooong time. The second picture looks a little bit like you didn't want to pose with the group so you stood on the other side of that sign. At least, that's what it looked like to me for about 2 minutes. And also in this scenario you would be a giant.

    See you in a few weeks! (seriously?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray! So happy and excited for you. And, I have to express some self-serving happiness about the (inaccurate) weather forecast, because Bria had the flu on Sunday. I would have been so sad to not get to celebrate. We are thoroughly looking forward to it being rescheduled!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!! Very awesome. Now your children can mark "graduate degree or higher" on forms that ask about their parents' education level :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was wonderful to be there with you - and we are proud of you and your efforts. I think I knew long ago - when you would come in and say, when you had a project due, "Can I use anything I can find in the garage?" that you would go on to do great things!

    And this is the start of those - you obviously know how to get the job done!!

    We love you and miss you already!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Isn't it so nice to be done?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! This is so awesome.

    So, I read another blog whose husband just graduated from the law school at GW. Check this out - is this your dad in the 3rd picture all the way on the left?!

    http://www.one-little-minute.com/2011/05/graduation-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hip, hip, hooray! I'm very impressed. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. rikki—not my dad, but that guy looks really familiar? (the subject of the blog, not the old man :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats to you too! awesome that i was your photo bomb.

    let's celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look great! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. it feels like you guys just moved to DC! how did you graduate already? congrats on your huge achievement. it does feel so good to know you have the ability to do something difficult. i mean the collective you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you're a master! congrats. wish i lived in d.c. so i could've gone to your grad party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. what an accomplishment! and you picked such a neat thing to study. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous6:15 PM

    Congratulations!! I agree, it feels like yesterday I just read your post about getting your acceptance letter. Way to go Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooray!! Great job, Hannah! We all knew you could do it. It just takes some blood, sweat, and tears!

    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. congrats to you! I am kind of itching to get a masters degree-you are my inspiration!

    Also, your outfit with the rain boots is top notch and I am glad it didn't have to spend the whole day hidden under your stinky robe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. congrats hannah! Seriously, grad school is hard. i'm in it right now. i'm really proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. you did it!! i'm so jealous! not as much of the school part, but of the part where you finish and feel so accomplished! i love a good ending. and you looked great doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. you're a masters!!! congrats dear! graduating is the best feeling in the world. we need to chat soon to catch up. i'm glad you had a great graduation and that it didn't rain.

    ReplyDelete