03 June 2010
People's District
My new favorite blog lately is People's District. The blog author is a guy who goes around and photographs people in the DC metro area and writes down their stories. This concept appeals to me in so many ways--first, I am a lover of stories and storytelling, especially personal histories. Second, I love that this guy can go up to people and get these stories from them. The idea of approaching a perfect stranger freaks me out a little bit so I'm glad that someone is doing it. Third, for the most part, the stories are uplifting and full of hope. Today's story about a girl named Shanell really resonated with me. Sure, we don't have the same past, but wow--I've got to stop complaining about how hard school has been lately. Read the story.
I know it sounds cheesy, but I was looking through the newspaper headlines this morning and MAN, it's been a bad week for the world. Let's be honest. Korea's having a bad week, and so are Israel, Palestine, Guatemala, and the Gulf of Mexico. And as sad and real as these stories are, I forget that there are so many GOOD things to look forward to. There are people are living life and trying to make their circumstances better. Does that make sense? I'm totally an idealist and believe in the power of the individual changing life for the better for themselves and for their communities. I don't even understand how a cynic could read the stories from People's District and not feel at least a little inspired.
Here are some of my favorites:
Also, I love this quote from Warren the baker: "Our community would be so much richer if people exercised their real talents and passions. We all should leave this world with little regrets." Doesn't that make you want to go do something AWESOME with your life? I'm just saying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have always wanted to be able to photograph people and get their stories afterward. I have a friend who is SO good at it! I should put it on my bucket list or something...
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to do something like this too. I'm glad you are around to keep me updated on the cool things happening in our city.
ReplyDeletei know right? who wants to visit the button man?
ReplyDeleteNice post, Hannah. Quietly inspiring. :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like I commented on the wrong post. See above!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the kind words about my blog. I appreciate it. To add to Warren's quote, I thought you might like the below from Lonnie, a wandering street performer who always leaves the house with an instrument. I caught him with a harmonica on 14th St NW.
ReplyDelete"I tell you, the graveyard is the richest place in the world. People take with them all kinds of things that they could have done during life: a business they could have done or something to elevate humanity. Don't let your talent die with you. Let people see your greatness."
You can read the rest of his story here:
http://peoplesdistrict.blogspot.com/2010/04/lonnie-on-letting-people-see-your.html