Tim was just saying on his blog that even though he likes living in New York City, he doesn't consider it "home." And it got me wondering what "home" really is for me now. I think the song is right; it's wherever I'm with Robbie. But what is it for people who move a lot? Or who don't have spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends/roommates? I'm just curious.
On a less philosophical note, I suddenly have an intense desire to go on a road trip through the desert, or go camping or something. Or hang out with Robbie. I always want to hang out with Robbie.
Sometimes, I call Utah "home," and that scares me.
ReplyDeleteLove this song. My old roommate posted it on her FB--I mean the video that was shot for KCRW's program, where you can watch the singers relate to each other. And my friend wrote: "Not sure we inhabit the same world, but these guys are pretty darn delightful." (Her "home" is North Carolina and she plays fiddle, so I think that she can say this with an amount of authenticity.)
ReplyDeleteAnyway I myself have been thinking (again) about the concept of home, and for sure, it can be with the person(s) that you love. But, I've also been reading the book "Brick Lane" by Monica Ali, and a person can find home in his- or herself. (This book I recommend.)
this song is a favorite. it makes me long for summer.
ReplyDeleteOoh. I was listening to this album a few weeks ago. I still get them mixed up with the Magnetic Fields though.
ReplyDeleteHome is wherever my bed is.
even though we have lived in texas for 13 years (two of our children were even born here), I still don't consider it home. When I am on vacation it is where I look forward to getting back to after being gone, but still not home. Home, for me, is anywhere in the west.mostly mountains and desert. mostly it is somewhere that I can be in closer proximity to my family when I need them. It is where I feel more comfortable. Where I have so many memories.
ReplyDeleteWe've moved. A LOT. (like 18 places in 10 years!) and moving has become more comfortable than staying put. But I think I will be home when I finally get to move somewhere that I really choose (as opposed to moving for a job or school). But as long as Nate is with me, anywhere is good enough.
My emotional home is with my husband, but physical home? Not quite there yet, but always looking.
ReplyDeleteIt is catchy - and a little Dylanesque - but more melodic.
ReplyDeleteWhen we were living in Salt Lake, and people would ask where we were from, I would say, "Los Angeles." Finally one time Dad said, "I think they mean where in Salt Lake are you from. We haven't lived in LA for a long time!"
I'm just now starting to feel native to Monrovia!!
But I'm pretty sure home is where your bed is! That's what I usually look forward to going home to - when I'm with Dad anyway.
home = bed. i feel kind of like a puppy when i put it that way.
ReplyDeletetotally love this song. lately i've been considering NYC home which is weird. other than that i feel pretty at home in yoga/acting studios. nothing is better than an empty room--- unless it is a road trip through the desert. I think i could stand behind that.
ReplyDeleteThat is definitely a hard thing for me to relate to. I lived 20+ years in Granada Hills, 18 years married to Dale in Midvale and from there it gets a little sketchy. We have moved so many times and lived in so many different and far flung places, that I would have to say that home is where your heart is. So for me home is where I am with Dale. I am looking forward, though, to the day that home will be with Dale somewhere in the States.
ReplyDeleteYeah. Maybe that's why I'm homeless . . . I need to find the guy.
ReplyDeleteFunny, I've been listening to this song a lot recently as well. It is a nice sentiment.
ReplyDelete