22 March 2010

A day at the races

I'm back!!


I have so much to report on, JUST AS I PROMISED! Did you miss me? Because I missed you. No, seriously. I'll never forsake you again.

The biggest event this weekend was... the National Marathon. (Half for me, full for Robbie.) It was so much fun! I finished in 2:07, which isn't my worst time, but about 20 minutes off my best. Saddies. But that's what I get for not training. Actually, I blame getting sick and then not training for a few days, because I was on a roll for a while there. (Also I blame having to metro in at 5 am. I was so tired.) I finished a few minutes ahead of the winner of the marathon, which is a little pathetic. BUT... it was a beautiful day to be outside and to be running through the city. I still had my long-sleeved top on at mile 2 and I got really hot, so I tried to take off my bib number (front and back) and pin it onto my tank top while I was running. And... success! I even managed to get off my iPod case and get it back on my arm without stopping. I am awesome. (Even though the people around me probably thought I was going to stab myself with a safety pin when I pinned my back bib.)

Eliza and her kids were there at the end, which was quite a surprise (I wasn't sure if they'd be able to make it on time since it's such a long metro ride from their house), and as I rounded the corner and saw Eliza cheering for me, tears of joy welled up in my eyes. Really. Seeing everyone throughout the course cheering for OTHER people was a little depressing but it was so nice to have my sister there at the end.


Robbie did such a great job. He was aiming for 3:10 (the qualifying time for Boston) but came in at 3:13. He's happy though, since he got really sick last week (oops) and it was such a hot day for a race. Also--he was 123rd overall in a race of 2500 people. Beat THAT!


The course was a lot of fun to run through. Robbie said that when he was running near Florida Ave. (kinda ghetto and scary) there was a guy with a sign that said "IF YOU LIVED HERE YOU'D BE RUNNING FASTER." Pretty awesome.

I'm totally recruiting anyone and everyone who wants to run it with us next year. If you're not into the half or full, they also have a relay! Any takers?

8 comments:

  1. you guys inpsire me!! congrats on a great run - wish we could've been there to cheer you on.

    dude, we like 50% back. back in the US, but traveling for meetings and family stuff. we can't wait to hang out with you guys and catch up, hopefully next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally want to do the half next year. like, totally hypothetically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are rock stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's get your dad and Harry converted to the idea.

    Heck, maybe even Karl would come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one am glad you are back. Glad you had a great race and congrats to both of you, an awesome job!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back.

    loooove the sign guy. so funny

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! I'll do it! Either the half of the relay. My family lives out there and I was in town that Saturday but didn't know it was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to run this next year!

    ReplyDelete