04 November 2015

in an old house in philly all covered with vines

IMG_2982

Last year, after I'd already made our Halloween costumes, I came up with this year's costume idea. Fortunately, Rhoda's just as into Madeline this year as she was last year (if not more so) so I kept it relatively simple and didn't deviate from my plan so I could get started early on our costumes. I found two pretty simple tutorials online to make Rhoda's outfit (this tunic + this cape) and spent a couple of days in October watching Jane the Virgin and going on a sewing frenzy. After scouring the internet for a yellow toddler hat and plain black Mary Janes I felt like I had the perfect ensemble for the tinest Madeline.

I was Miss Clavel and Robbie was the tiger in the zoo ("to the tiger in the zoo, Madeline just said 'Pooh-pooh!'") My veil was just a rectangle of fabric sewn onto a headband, and Robbie borrowed the tiger costume from a classmate. Also, a lot of times none of us were instantly recognizable. I can understand the confusion about Robbie the tiger/Tigger/Tony the Tiger (a little obscure...) and me the nun, especially in a city where everyone is Catholic, but come on! What's with you people not reading Madeline to your kids??

IMG_2999

We got a ton of mileage out of our costumes this year. We had a party for the school's kids club, a Halloween party at church, and before trick-or-treating in our neighborhood (which is the BEST on Halloween) we had donuts and cider at our friends' house. Basically by the time Sunday rolled around we were all in a sleep-deprived sugary haze.

Untitled
Posin'

Untitled
Talking about important toddler things (candy) with her equestrian friend Harper

Untitled
The best kid

Untitled
Making the mistake of waiting too long to take a picture resulted in this episode

PS—further evidence that Rhoda is a mini-Robbie:

IMG_2992

6 comments:

  1. Oh this costume/year was spectacular! Not sure why I never thought of it - you guys were big Madeline fans!! Maybe they just did comic book or Disney characters back then! Good job Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Madelaine costume. Cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cooed over all of these pictures. And shared them with my coworkers at school. SO CUTE. My future child will be Madeline. Even if it's a boy.

    Also: LOVE Jane the Virgin (about halfway through season 1).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the Madeline costume. My kids knew who Rhoda was dressed up as.
    Also, Jane the Virgin is so funny. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love it so much! i keep trying to convince eliza to watch it because i know she'd like it but i don't want to hype it up too much. come on, eliza!

      Delete
  5. that is the cutest outfit idea ever!

    ReplyDelete