Yesterday I was listening to All Things Considered, and they've been doing this series called "Mom and Dad's Record Collection" where listeners and staffers and various celebrities have been talking about the songs in their parents' record collections that have really inspired them. And during yesterday's show they featured a listener who was inspired by Neil Diamond's "America" (and who isn't, really?) and the story made me tear up a little—you can listen to it here.
Anyway, the song inspired me to make a playlist of songs that make me think of America and the Fourth of July (notable missing song—"America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles is not on Spotify [booooo]). It's a Spotify playlist so you have to have the software installed to listen to it, or you can just enjoy the random sampling. Happy Independence Day!
I have always loved that song - and it's interesting to imagine people who want to leave the land they know for an unknown land - because I can't imagine being an "expat" that I read about in all the retirement magazines I see!
ReplyDeleteAhh Neil Diamond! I have to listen to that song every 4th of July. Also, I love that you put Party in the U.S.A on your playlist...
ReplyDeleteThanks to you, Party in the U.S.A. has a special place in my heart. good times. happy 4th!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to stalk you.
ReplyDeleteit took me a minute to realize that this isn't the world's creepiest comment.
Deletehaha, love your mix hannah.
ReplyDelete