01 June 2012
moment
My mom has been uploading lots of really great old photos on Facebook every day (and some not-so-great photos of me circa 1997-1999) and I've been really enjoying looking at them and seeing comments from people who have memories about the events in the picture. The one above was actually posted by my sister Bonny, and it's of my mom and her brother Richard. My mom is pregnant with Bonny in this photo, which means she's 25 (?) in the picture, so about two years younger than I am now. I hadn't seen this photo before until this week but I love it so much, for lots of reasons. I knew when I was looking at it that it was taken in Utah (a place/era in my life that I miss very much from time to time), where my parents were planning to settle down. I love that it's a candid photo, sort of simultaneously dated and timeless, and captures a perfect summer moment. It also captures this moment in time that at one point seemed really distant and foreign to me, and now, well, that's my life. (Not pregnant with a popsicle, though my mom does make that look really appealing.)
I remember being a kid and looking at old pictures of my mom from this era and thinking "there is no way that this is my mom," especially because my mom had me 15 years after this photo was taken. Gradually I began to relate to a lot of the scenarios depicted—college, graduations, weddings, etc.—and now it's just a little thrilling to see these pictures of my parents (especially pre-babies) and think about them being on the cusp of a really exciting time in their life. I have this really horrible habit of not being able to live in the moment, but these photos have really been helping me try to focus on those moments rather than trying to speed up time as rapidly as possible.
Labels:
family,
thanks for the memories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
love looking at old photos of my parents.
ReplyDeletei keep reminding myself that as much as i want time to go by quickly (can december get here already??) that i need to savor our time as students.
This is a really great picture. Also a really great top.
ReplyDeleteI am a friend of Julie's and I always read your blog from hers :). I also LOVE the old car graveyard in the background!
ReplyDeletep-cute! i have heard much about you. thanks for stopping by :)
DeleteI love looking at old photos of family, especially ones of me and my brothers as toddlers as they make me smile at the simpler times of childhood!
ReplyDeletelittlemissmaisyblogging.blogspot.com
Thanks Veronica - I made that top - and I was a very beginning seamstress!! It was red with white polka dots -and I loved it too!
ReplyDeleteAnd the "graveyard" was a couple of acres of Model A Fords - at a bend in the highway heading to Lagoon outside Farmington - we've always wondered what happened to them. All we ever found out about it was that the guy who owned the land and the cars had no interest in selling any of them! (I'll bet he got old and then his kids sold them and retired on the profits!!)
ReplyDeleteCan I make a cheesy comment? I like the premise of the movie "Click" although there is some typically horrible Adam Sandler slapstick in it. He wants to fast-forward so badly, and then all of a sudden time is winding forward faster than he wanted it to. I feel like I am approaching a time in my life where that is starting to happen. I had a few years there where I felt like I was just waiting for my life to start. Now I feel like my life moves faster and faster every day. Maybe I need to ease off on the to-do list or something.
ReplyDeleteLife does feel like it's moving faster the older you get - I think it's because you are watching such dramatic growth in your children - and then it's your grandchildren - not just your own growth - which as you get older seems less dramatic until you compare points in time.
ReplyDeleteSigh. How bittersweet. It's totally true to savor the moments. I have a hard time with this as well because I'm always thinking about the next thing to do. As my little Henry gets older I kind of freak out (like everyday) how big he is and how tomorrow he'll be going on a mission and then I cry all the live long day because how am I going to live without my baby boy??? Oh dear. I loved this post.
ReplyDelete