We went to New York again this past weekend—last time we went it was the weekend of food with Bemily, this weekend was meant to be the weekend of theater with Bemily. We had high hopes of getting rush tickets for Death of a Salesman (pretty much the main reason we came back four weeks later... haha) and since we didn't decide to camp out at 11:30 the night before, we didn't get the 12 available rush tickets even after getting there at 6:30 am (it's a long and sad story that I'd rather not recount here). But! Never fear. Robbie and Ben were in the line for Once and got the last four tickets! And that was totally a wonderful consolation prize. It was really quite powerful and the music was amazing. The actors played all of the instruments, which was probably my favorite part of the whole thing. If you've seen it I'd love to hear what you thought about it. And if you haven't seen it, well, you've got to go park yourself in front of the theater for a $27 rush ticket. What a deal.
Experiencing New York with a Broadway show is so exciting. It's more obnoxious than exciting when you're walking through the huge crowds in Time Square (it is never not crowded, even at 6:30 in the morning), but when you step into the old theaters with the beautiful decor and curtained box seats, it gives you this little thrill like you've gone back in time. It's just really fun. I can see why people get really into it.
Other highlights of the weekend:
- Spending Friday on the UWS with friends new[ish] (Natalie) and old (Sara Mo, my old London roommate and love of my life). There is nothing quite like hanging out with people you met six months ago or six years ago and just being able to talk until your face hurts and still not run out of things to talk about.
- FOOD. See also: Num Pang and Caracas Arepa Bar.
- Scandinavian candy from Sockerbit. My biggest weakness besides milkshakes? Sour gummy things. Sigh.
- I FOUND ICED HOT CHOCOLATE! (Again, not to be confused with frozen hot chocolate.)
- Reuniting with old friends at the Harlem Ward on Sunday. Funny part was that many of them were just visiting for the weekend. Holla at me, Harlem.
- Watching Robbie and Ben play XBox (not)
SIGH... you have NO IDEA how green with envy I am about seeing Once. Like man oh man.. jealous!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a bomb.com weekend. I'll pretend I'm happy for you. :)
girl! come back soon! i LOVE you! :) (and if i'm ever in dc, you're my tour guide!)
ReplyDeletei'm sure glad we divided and conquered. well the boys conquered, but we failed and got it rubbed in our faces. let's try for tickets next time... when the show isn't ending in a week.
ReplyDeletei promise to always show you a good time.
thanks for playin'!!
ahh! I want to go to new york and I want to go to that candy shop. one of the best days in china was when we found a gummy candy store.
ReplyDeleteOh man, you should have come to LI on Sunday. It was Ryan's birthday and I made a BTS cake haha.
ReplyDeleteHannah, I just wish I could be as cool as you. Please teach me your ways!
ReplyDeleteI would love to go to new york - it looks like you had a great time. The show sounds really good too x
ReplyDeletelittlemissmaisyblogging.blogspot.com
I have never been to a show in New York. Guess I will add that to my "bucket list!!"
ReplyDeleteso happy i stumbled across your blog! great images!!! i really need to visit New York!
ReplyDeletexo TJ