22 March 2012

cherry blossom girl

I work around the corner from the Tidal Basin, but the hoards of crowds coming for the Cherry Blossom Festival deterred me from heading down there during peak visiting hours (i.e., early morning, afternoon, and sunset—pretty much all day). So I decided to take advantage of the alone time I've been having this week to head down on my bike and enjoy the cherry blossoms at night, when there are very few people around. I was a little bit sad that Robbie wasn't there to enjoy it (he hasn't seen the cherry blossoms ever, and we've lived here for almost three years!), but it was really nice to just have some time to channel my alonergy and enjoy things at my own pace.

Untitled-2

IMG_5629

IMG_5596

IMG_5607

IMG_5595

IMG_5608

IMG_5612

IMG_5601

IMG_5645

On my way to and from the Tidal Basin, I rode by the Hirshhorn, where they just installed SONG 1 by Doug Aitken. It's this incredible video/music projection that wraps around the already-striking Hirshhorn building. Cars were stopping to watch the show, crowds were forming and people were breaking out into spontaneous slow dances. If you live in the area, you have to check it out before it's taken down in May. 

SONG 1, 3/21/12

Sometimes DC wears me out. It's likely because I associate the cool things in DC—like the Mall and museums—with work. But at night, the city transforms a little bit, and I don't feel like I need to rush from one place to the next. There's little to no traffic around the Mall, the weather is mild, there aren't many people on the sidewalks, and the monuments are brilliantly lit up. And then I fall in love all over again.

16 comments:

  1. so pretty - love the cherry blossoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful night shots! Riding my bike around the monuments at night is one of my favorite things. So peaceful. I'm going to take my bike down tomorrow morning for the sunrise. The path around the tidal basin is usually pretty empty (although this year seems extra crazy), but there are always so many photographers lining the path with big tripods that I feel like I'm not allowed to walk by. I think I'll ride around Hains Point, which is just as beautiful, but sans the monuments and the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love DC...and I have always wanted to see the cherry blossoms. Also I think DC at night, especially the Mall, is one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The night blossom picture are beautiful--fun contrast!--and I really like the look of that installation! I especially like the picture below the bike shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to come sometime during the cherry blossoms - maybe when I retire!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so pretty! This reminds me of when we rode to the monuments at night. Such a fun and hot time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a hot night. I am still sorry for putting you through it but I'm glad you were such a good sport about it.

      Delete
  7. i *love* the mall at night! love it. and seeing the cherry blossoms in dc is definitely on my must-do-soon-or-else-my-life-isn't-worth-living list. okay, i don't really have one of those, but maybe i should...?

    anyway, *beautiful* pictures! i'm so jealous that you live right there. it's such an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to live in DC! Also, those are some gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh look at that photography. profesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank goodness for the daytime crowds that caused you to take these photos at night, because they are incredible!! love love love them. good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, those are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures. I am so glad that you stop and enjoy the wonders while you are living there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Mall is definitely at its best at night. I always want to take first-time visitors to Lincoln and Korean War at night. To me that area at night just epitomizes the beauty of DC. Great photos.

    We've only gone to the "festival" one time although I have driven through DC in the spring many times during the years that Matt worked there, and seen the trees from my car. I really want to go see the MLK memorial which I have not seen yet, but it's supposed to rain this weekend. I guess we may end up going sans blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hannah, I haven't looked at any blogs for a long time but yours is so impressive. Your pictures are stunning and your prose is interesting and insightful. You are very talented! Dave H

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss seeing the cherry blossoms. Great pictures, Hannah. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete