20 February 2012

wat's up?

IMG_4349

IMG_4354

IMG_4352

IMG_4357

IMG_4392

buddhas

IMG_4391

robbie_monks

IMG_4414

IMG_4453

cat

IMG_4364

blue

Wat Pho, home of the Reclining Buddha and birthplace of Thai massage (the non-scandalous kind), was one of the major tourist sites we saw in Bangkok. I knew nothing about Wat Pho before we got there except that there would be a giant Buddha, and it did not disappoint—the Reclining Buddha dominates the scene (and is also extremely difficult to photograph). Unfortunately, it's the only thing you have to pay for in Wat Pho, which is a bummer. However, this first of many subsequent Buddhist temple visits really made me want to learn more about Buddhism. It is still completely baffling to me and it's been a while since I read Siddhartha in high school (and I didn't really get it then either).

Wat Pho is also home to lots of mangy stray cats (I hope you noticed the one hiding in the planter) and cute little school children learning at the feet of monks. One of my favorite parts about Wat Pho was happening upon a group of monks chanting with several worshipers gathered at their feet. It was a pretty surreal, amazing, and spiritual experience.

3 comments:

  1. And once again I'm the first to comment. I don't always spend my life at a computer, but when I do, I'm apparently stalking your blog. I went to Wat Pho too, super cool. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @naomi i'm not even mad. i'm actually quite flattered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh it brings me back. love your photos. and your gay pride sarong. you did bangkok proud.

    ReplyDelete