We kicked off our two-week trip in Bangkok, where our friends Dannii and Jess live with their seriously adorable two year-old son. When they moved to Asia two years ago we decided we'd make it a goal to visit them before they left (we made it!). Before we go any further, there's a reason that there's a song about only spending one night in Bangkok
(believe me, there were about 1000 jokes involving the Murray Head song, which, incidentally, was actually written by Benny and Björn from ABBA—you're welcome). It's dirty and stinky and the streets are never not congested with traffic. But the cabs are hot pink and orange and green, and the people are amazingly polite and bow when they say "thank you," and Dannii and Jess made the trip super fun and SO much less stressful for us by letting us stay with them
(nothing like a nice clean apartment and treats to make jet lag more bearable) and taking us to sites off the beaten path
(I'll cover the other sites in another post) and going on a double-date with us while Gunnar stayed home with a babysitter. I wish that all dates involved dinner, dessert, and closed with a Thai foot massage.
(The massage came from a surly Thai woman, not from Dannii or Jess.) Which reminds me, my favorite Asian product happens to be a dessert—the elusive (in America, at least) iced hot chocolate. I have mentioned this to a dozen different people and most of them just pause and say, "But isn't that just chocolate milk?" No. It's not. Just trust me.
Probably the most memorable adventure from our trip was going to the wet market, which is just a market with vendors selling everything from fruits and vegetables to sea creatures, insects, and
bags of live frogs. I believe it is known as the wet market because there is a truck that drives around with workers hosing off the street intermittently to
(somewhat unsuccessfully) wash all the guts and gore off the street. Sorry for the vivid imagery. But it was seriously the worst/best thing that we did and pushed my comfort level to its absolute limits. As Dannii said, the wet market is probably the number one reason that you have to be careful to wash your produce thoroughly before you eat it. She also shared a story of walking down one of the aisles by a seafood vendor, who had live fish and eels in trays partially filled with water, when one of the eels suddenly jumped out of the tray and onto the street in front of her. You're welcome for that mental image, and for your subsequent nightmares tonight.
It was a great trip, and we had a great time visiting friends that we hadn't seen in two years. Will I go back to Bangkok anytime soon? Probably not. But do I love Dannii and Jess and did I cry a little when we left? Maybe I did. I wish they were our full-time adventure buddies.
There is so much about the parts of the world we've never seen that we need to learn about - you seem to be getting a head start - thanks for sharing with the rest of us!!
ReplyDeleteAnd let's hear it for good friends - they are the best!!
That looks like so much fun! I wish we could've been there with you guys! Man oh man... I miss my family. Thanks for making ME cry a little looking at these photos and hearing about your fun. Only the best and nicest kind of jealousy, definitely. :) I love the picture of Jess feeding Robbie. Wahoooo, can't wait for more travel adventure stories!
ReplyDelete1) Seriously that's a cute kid.
ReplyDelete2) I spent a lot of time in coffee shops in high school. Long live the iced hot chocolate!
3) Way to brave that awesome/scary sounding market.
That's so fun. I love visiting friends in new places.
ReplyDeleteBytheway, Dairy Queen used to sell frozen hot chocolate (and if you go to a good one, they still know what it is). So delicious.
@jessie, @rachael you are both arizonans, so i wonder if it's an AZ thing! i have asked around and NO one has heard of it. well, there is frozen hot chocolate (serendipity-style, more ice cream-like), but the kind in asia was basically hot chocolate with ice in it. maybe that's all it takes...
ReplyDeleteand now i have that song in my head.
ReplyDeleteoy, hannah!
looks like a great start to a sweet trip.
Totally was VT companions with Danni. I saw the pics with her and was like..um she looks familiar. Super awesome girl. Glad you had didn't have an eel jumping experience!
ReplyDeleteHey I know Dannii! I can't remember which class we had together, but I love her!
ReplyDelete