I went to the dentist this week after three years of neglecting to schedule a cleaning appointment. (That's actually not a record for me, but I won't disclose the real record because it's embarrassing.) I am the most diligent flosser and brusher, and never have I had a cavity, which I think was my mouth's way of saying "six years of braces was enough torture for you."
Until this week. Dr. Jani (who is awesome, if you need a dentist in DC) found not one, but TWO cavities during my checkup. My cavity-free streak is over. Not only that, but he explained to me why one of my front teeth is a slightly different color from the other (tooth trauma as a kid that I don't remember happening) and that one of my molars might be attacking itself. Are these things that you have to worry about as you get older? Don't answer that.
Anyway, I went and got the cavities filled today. I was hoping that Dr. Jani would say "April Fool's! You don't have any cavities." But no such luck. Just a quick drilling and a couple of hours of a lopsided smile. Thanks, man.
But count yourself fortunate that you lived a quarter of a century before getting a filling - by the time I was a teen, I had a mouth full of fillings!!
ReplyDeleteI've had straight teeth all my life, and now at age 25, they are suddenly crooked.adulthood sucks
ReplyDeletemeg, i think i commented on your blog about this, but there's something about being 25 that signals to your body "it's time to change now"
ReplyDeleteGot my first cavity/filling at 25!
ReplyDeleteYes, this is what you have to worry about as you get older. Also, neck braces.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had a cavity discovered yet but am 98% sure that my next dentist visit will produce at least one. I haven't been to the dentist in 4 years. The last time I had been to the dentist before that, was 4 years before that...and I still didn't have any cavities. But 3 pregnancies later (pregnancy does weird things to your teeth) plus the fact that I am getting older, makes me pretty certain my streak will be over too. Sometime in 2011, that's my only goal...but I will make it back to the dentist eventually.
Don't worry, I went four years and then had nine cavities, one crown and a root canal. I cried in front of the dentist when he told me. Big, wet tears.
ReplyDeletethanks for giving me something to look forward to. i have my first appointment in 2 1/2 years on wednesday. i got mad last time because they tried to sell me a bite guard, and refused to go to the dentist ever again. i mean who wants to pay money to look like a nerdy football player every night??
ReplyDeleteI got a cavity for the first time in 15 years last month! I felt like a kid again, although getting a cavity filled as an adult is not nearly as traumatic as when I was a kid. Thank heavens for that.
ReplyDelete