14 February 2011

Flowers: they make everyone feel better

When you exit the Foggy Bottom metro station, there are usually people of all kinds peddling their wares—the Express people handing out free newspapers, the stinky hot dog cart lady, the umbrella salesman, and, of course, the flower man. The flower man probably makes a pretty penny because there is a hospital right next to the metro station, and because he has a sign that says "Flowers: they make everyone feel better." And how can you disagree with that? It's a close contender for my favorite flower slogan, the other two belonging to the flower shop by our house, which has two awesome signs out front proclaiming "Flowers are the glory of God," and "Our flowers bring special blessings."

Anyway, Robbie brought a pretty bouquet of flowers home on Saturday. And flowers make me feel better, and they give me special blessings. And they make me feel glorious, so I guess that everyone is a winner.

I know that not everyone is a fan of Valentine's Day. I am a recent believer in the holiday. I never liked it in middle/high school. The student associations sold candygrams that would be delivered to your 5th period class, and I probably got a candygram only a couple of times. If they weren't so ostracizing, I think I might like the concept better, but I always felt like I was missing out on something (which is why I like the elementary school tradition of giving valentines to everyone in class). I've gotten over my middle/high school awkwardness and bitterness of not having a spray-painted carnation to carry around all day and now I celebrate my love in the form of red pants and red fingernails:


Sure, I guess I'm playing into this whole commercialization of love, but we could all use a little more love in our lives. Today I feel the love from my family, my friends, my husband, and by golly, the weather (it's SIXTY-EIGHT DEGREES outside!!!).

Let's give three cheers for love. Or, at least for red pants and glorious weather.

10 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about candy grams this morning and how sad it felt not to get one. It's okay now though, I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I used to send you guys candy grams?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:28 PM

    Lo-ove the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom, you were only at the same school as me for two years. those were probably the candy gram i got, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love you and the colors of love and i did NOT love those candy grams.
    i just love celebrating love everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the umbrella man!! haha. Does he say "UMbrella, UMbrella, UMbrella - rainin' on your HEAD!!"?? Because we heard an umbrella salesman in DC yell that catchy line while waiting at a light and now we say it every time it rains! They really do know about catchy slogans in the district.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember when I/we used to wear pink and red EVERY DAY from February 1 to 14...that was when I had lots of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i do remember that, and i still do it even though i don't have much pink or red. i just wore the same things every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I miss the days of everyone getting Valentine's in elementary school. I remember still feeling special because I was getting them, even though everyone else was too. If we ever live in the same area again we should have a party where we do that.

    ReplyDelete