10 November 2010

Biking: it does a Hanner good


In addition to the physical benefits of biking to and from campus every day, I've been taking note of the other added benefits that do not manifest themselves in obvious ways (such as my lean and chiseled physique [jk]). To wit:

-it's a nice view
-on my route I get to ride through history, which is cool
-it's free!
-it (usually) takes less time than riding the Metro or the bus
-I don't get motion-sick on my bike (like I do on the Metro)
-I get to use my bell to tell jaywalkers to get out of my way
-I get to hear crazy homeless men yelling from their benches at oblivious passersby
-I'm too lazy to go running so this has doubled as my commute AND my daily cardio activity

Probably the highlight of the biking experiment, though, happened this morning when I rode past an SUV at a stoplight on Pennsylvania that was BLASTING "Gonna Make You Sweat." And the driver was a middle aged white man and I totally caught him rocking out. You just don't experience that kind of awesomeness on the Metro.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah, I just saw something that I think you will love.

    http://www.biblecats.com/

    Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heather--as luck would have it, the creator of that calendar is my friend's sister! how crazy is that? and how hilarious?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love bikes too! your ride sounds so cool. and that tandem is unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love our bike riding connection.
    i feel the same as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man! you have a tandem. We LOVE our tandem. Don't you feel so cute riding up and down the street? We usually base our cuteness by the number of honks per ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. friends, i wish i could claim the tandem as my own, but it's actually my brother in-law's. (the pic was taken last christmas at my parents' house.) he is the bike-master--they even have a three seater! and lol @ amanda's comment. usually the honks directed at me are not based on my cuteness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. we should start bike commuting. i haven't done it at all this week because i get a little lonely on the bike. weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. how can you get lonely when there are so many pedestrians walking in the middle of the bike lanes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit I don't think I would trust myself wielding a bike around cars and pedestrians. I feel like bikers perform miracles the way they narrowly weave in and out of traffic/people. I would not be such a miracle worker-I am sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am all for biking. Good work. Now if Americans were just a little more aware of bikers if they're in cars . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. your bike is so cute! i want a bike! but i really cant use it to commute to work, but still, someday ill get one.

    ReplyDelete