07 June 2010
Hot child in the city
Hello, Monday. Where did you come from and where did my weekend go? Since I get home at about 9 or 10 every weeknight (depending on the day) I have really started to get serious about my weekend time. We have packed so much in lately, it is CRAZY. So pardon me while I digest three glorious days of heat and humidity for you, because I know you care.
Friday we had a late night in the city and then met up for a spontaneous dinner with Robbie's work friend Derek and his wife Linda, who came in to town from Burke. Burke, why are you so far away? I guess it only feels far away because Derek and Linda basically live in a forest. Which is cool. Anyway, we really like them and we're glad they like hanging out with us too.
Saturday was CRAZY! Okay maybe not that crazy but I was beat when we were finally done. First, we had a Kwaj reunion BBQ with Robbie's childhood friends that live in the area:
Even though it was like 90 degrees and 95% humidity, we still had a good time. Since they all grew up on an island maybe they don't notice the humidity... who knows? And it was fun for me to meet Robbie's friends, and the wives/girlfriends of those friends. I always have a good time when I hang out with Kwaj people.
Then we jetted home and napped before we left for the RSL v. DC United game:
My first MLS game. Apparently Robbie had included a note when he mailed in our ticket vouchers saying, "This is my wife's first soccer game; please give us good seats!" And the person who mailed them back to us included a note saying, "I hope your wife has a good time!" Haha. Nice! And we did have great seats. What I WANT to know though, is how do I get a ticket for the cheering section? They looked like they were having a good time across the field from us... huge flags, drums, and CONSTANT "Ole Ole"-ing.
Anyway, it was fun. The game ended kind of boringly (0-0) but it was good anyway. And we felt kind of awkward with who we should root for. We have a little bit of home team pride for RSL (and Robbie went to a bunch of RSL games in college) but we were kind of sticking out whenever we cheered for RSL. But I did inadvertently wear DC United colors...
Summertime humidity=shiny skin. It can't be helped.
After that we met up with Rose and Jordan for shakes and fries and good times. No pictures of that but how do you depict having AN AWESOME TIME?? Because that's what we had.
Sunday was church. Not super exciting except that we woke up at 6:30 am and the power had gone out. We wouldn't have noticed except that it felt like 90 degrees in our room. But we carried on and went to church and came back to the power back on, so that Team Hamill could make this beauty:

That, my friends, is a bluebarb pie, courtesy of Kimberly Simmons and her culinary genius. (She is making a pie a week for her husband Ryan in 2010!) I'm not a blueberry lover but this was a great pie. And pretty too, thanks to the wedding pie plate from my friend Andrea. We brought it to dinner with my friend Bren and her fiancé Sterling. Pie love you, indeed.
I hope you all had an awesome weekend and are enjoying the non-humidity today.
Labels:
friends,
weekend update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i think you forgot to mention something.
ReplyDeleteI'm dying for a strawberry rhubarb pie. If we invite you over for dinner, will you bring us a pie? And show me how to make it look so pretty.
ReplyDeleteI made strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend for my first time ever and was going to post a picture too! Rhubarb is such a weird plant, don't you think?
ReplyDeletere: Sarah. I'll answer for her. yes. I love making pies - just tell us when.
ReplyDeleteYum yum! That is one lovely pie crust.
ReplyDeleteHmm - your fixation with the humidity has me worried. Especially now that I am basking in A/C splendor here in the 'bu.
ReplyDeleteAck! we were supposed to go to that game but it's too late for us (and the guns), but my sister kimi was there! she was just in town for 2 days and went with my bro. oh man, they were near the ole ole section. haha. i loooove those games. hey, we have to see each other before we leave. maybe you can come watch some world cup with us? i'll give you a bike!
ReplyDelete