A little bit of insight into my teen years:
"9/17/03
Hannah--
I'm not too pleased that you chose to disregard our counsel about a cell phone. If you can afford a phone, you can pay me the $175 you owe me. Love, Mom."
I'm going through all of my cards and letters that I've received since I started college and throwing them out. It's really sad, but since I probably haven't looked at letters like that since I first got them, it's probably for the best. My mom wrote me a card or letter every day for the first month of college and this note was one of them. That particular one was funny to read again because I actually felt my heart drop a little bit, like my mom was scolding me right now. I don't remember the last time my parents scolded me. I'm glad those days are over. I'm also glad that the days of being upset with your college-age daughter for wanting a cell phone are over, too.
The background on that little nugget of disapproval from my mom is that I asked my parents to add me to their cell phone plan, and they said no, so I bought a Go Phone (which doesn't require a credit card or anything). Mom should have saved her ink, because the joke was on me: Go Phones cost like $30 a month for 100 or fewer minutes, and then a dollar per extra minute or something stupid like that. I'm pretty sure that my summer job money was wasted on that phone in my first semester of college. I blame my brother-in-law Matt for not stopping me, since he was the one who took me to the AT&T store in the first place. (Okay, I BEGGED him to take me and I think that he was looking for my approval since he and my sister weren't married yet. Haha, I kid.) No matter. I graduated college a fine young woman, and that phone made me REALLY popular in the dorms. Seriously. We freshman cell phone owners were few and far between.
Here's another good one--an "I Am" poem that I wrote when I was a freshman in high school, which my mom found in a pile of my stuff at home and then sent to me:
I Am by Hannah Terrill
I am super.
I wonder why my wrist hurts so much?
I hear Rachel laughing.
I see people not worrying.
I want an A in Biology.
I am beautiful.
I pretend that I have no problems.
I feel lucky.
I touch other people's hair.
I worry when no one's around.
I cry about stupid things.
I am unique.
I don't understand people.
I say too much.
I dream of being perfect.
I try to walk away, and I stumble.
I hope to please everyone.
I am Hannah.
I think this was the product of a Young Women's activity. I can't believe how much this poem DOES NOT describe me (nor did it describe me as a 14 year-old, except for maybe the crying part), and I really can't believe that I quoted a Macy Gray song.
That poem just made my day. I know I've got a few of those somewhere with my old school stuff...and I think I need to go find them now :)
ReplyDeleteI need to go throw some things out, I'm like you--I keep EVERY card/note I get and they just fill up a file somewhere.
ReplyDeleteWhat dorms did you live in where nobody had a cell phone? Maybe I just got stuck on a cell phone infested floor.
I love your nostalgic stories, though, they crack me up!
That makes me sound so harsh!!
ReplyDeleteWhen you have kids in college, I will run it by you again!!
I truly enjoyed the note. Especially that she scolded you yet still signed it "Love, Mom".
ReplyDelete"Though I try to hide it, it's clear, my world crumbles when you are not here!"
ReplyDeleteA card or letter every day for a month! Wow. I am impressed.
ReplyDeleteI thought writing once in a while was good.
I do think that note is a classic.
I literally laughed out loud in reading your mom's note. Like Phoebe I found the scolding + "Love, Mom" a sweet contradiction. It also made my heart drop a bit as if I was scolded as well. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI think I deserve a pat on the back for sending every one of my kids a note or card every day for a month when they went away to college! Even if they were sometimes scoldings!!
ReplyDeleteWhen Noah didn't go away to school, I wondered what I should do. I ended up mailing him a card or a note every day for a month anyway. I'm not sure it had the same effect though - sometimes he didn't check the dining room table for days at a times and the notes piled up - so the "every day" effect was somewhat lost. But I didn't want to be accused of not being fair!
Mom, I'm not accusing you of anything. I did think it was a funny note though! Good thing you're only 18 once.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to side with your mom and assume this note was justified. Hilarious. Worthy of passiveagressivenotes.com
ReplyDeleteBarbara, thank you in behalf of mothers all around the world. Sometimes these things are hard to hear but just need to be said. Good job! On the flip side, I am generally all for whatever wholesome measures need to be taken in order to be popular in those dorms. So also, Good job! to you, Hannah. I am happy to have those years behind me. (both sets of them.)
ReplyDelete