25 August 2008

Yokwe!

Well, we're back from our island getaway. And boy did we get away. No (high speed) internet, no cell phones... it was just like traveling back to the year 2000. No really, I think that being disconnected from the rest of the world was the best part. Also the crystal clear water and the average temperature every day being something like 80 degrees didn't hurt.

(It just occurred to me that maybe not all of my readers know that my husband grew up on Kwajalein, the biggest island in the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. It's not really the easiest vacation spot to get to because it's a secure military base, and you have to have a sponsor in order to go out there. And since Robbie's parents moved away a year ago our chances of finding a sponsor as the years go on will be a little harder, so we got to take advantage of seeing Robbie's childhood home one last time thanks to my generous in-laws!! More details later.)

Anyway, I think that we took something like 400 pictures, so I think I might just pick the cream of the crop and do a series of posts... that might take a while, since we STILL don't have internet in our apartment.

But... here are some pictures to tide you over for the moment. (And by "you" I mostly mean my in-laws :) Dave and Diane, everyone sure missed you over there!)

the view of Kwaj from the plane

the sand that felt like malted milk

Robbie in his natural habitat
me and a hermit crab on Roi, the island where Robbie's dad worked for 13 years

Robbie on a customized Kwaj bike... I'm still skeptical about the raised handlebars.

snorkeling

spear-fishing on Bigej, another island in the atoll

SHARKS!

cruising around Hawaii in our rental car upgrade

Things I miss so far: the humidity, the rain, everything in walking distance, sleeping in... it sure was nice to be away for a while.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back! That looks like quite the vacay destination. Good for you for doing it now. It will get harder and harder to do over the years, for reasons other than the in-laws presence, I'm sure.

    And what(!) is this with the sharks! I would totally never go swimming in there again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: the sharks, they are nurse sharks, and according to Robbie they are not dangerous. But I took a video of them when the island butcher threw a fish head in the water, and I'm not so sure any more about them not being dangerous. I'll post that one later.

    Being able to see what is swimming around in the water is kind of creepy. Ignorance is bliss, because now I'm hesitant to get back in the ocean in California, where you can't see the fish swimming around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all excited to see the pics -and look forward to seeing the other 391 of them!!

    Looks great - I'd not want to swim with sharks either - but then I don't even go in the water in SoCal, so I have no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you took so many pictures and can't wait to see them! And I am so happy that it sounds like you enjoyed it. We thought about your trip every second that you were there and I even didn't sleep while you were on the plane. Vicarious travel, I suppose. It is a treck coming and going, that is for sure. But worth it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you were going to Hawaii also. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like you had lots of lots of fun. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want a vacation......and a sponsor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trip looks so beautiful and relaxing! Although not so relaxing perhaps for the speared fish....

    Sorry, I couldn't help it. :)

    ReplyDelete