19 May 2008

Reasons I should not be allowed to watch TV

Ever since Veronica moved into our house, I've been introduced to a whole new world: cable television. It's not like I haven't had cable before (the cable box was taken out of our house when I was 5, but somewhere in my late teens my parents got it back), but I just get sucked in more than I used to. And it's not like I haven't gotten sucked into TV shows before, it's just that it's usually done in a huge binging (binge-ing? that looks so wrong) session (i.e., The Office on DVD, Grey's Anatomy on DVD, Lost on DVD, etc.). But Veronica has opened my TV world to welcome in reality television. It's new and confusing, and the jury's still out on how I feel about it all.

The problem (okay, one of many problems) with reality TV is that these are real people! I mean, I can get annoyed (or yell at the TV) when Jim doesn't propose to Pam, or I can wonder why Jack's "dead" dad is wandering around the island, but they are NOT real people, whereas if David Archuleta gets voted off American Idol, he will go home to Murray High School and cry REAL tears. We know this is possible! We saw it last week. He is just So Cute, and has a little puppy face, and it would be so sad if that horrible Creed impersonator David Cook won. (Tyler says that he thinks that Robbie looks like David A. in our engagement pictures... do you agree?)

So now that I'm admitting that I read poorly written novels, let me reveal some more recent skeletons in my closet (besides Law and Order).

The Hills
American Idol
So You Think You Can Dance? (I've been watching re-runs of last season)
Dancing With The Stars
America's Next Top Model (also re-runs)
NBA Playoffs (if this isn't reality TV then I don't know what is)
One episode of The Bachelor
Gossip Girl
(I really wish that was reality TV)

Sorry Mom. I haven't forgotten all that you've taught me. It's just that amid the stress of (not) planning a wedding, I need a little fluff in my life. You know, something to remind me that at least my life isn't ridiculous, or actually scripted.

And Heidi and Spencer can provide that.

10 comments:

  1. Due to having teenage daughters in the house, I am well versed in all things "American Idol".(thankfully none of the other shows that you list)
    So my money is on David A. winning it all. Teen aged girls texting their vote is a force to be reckoned with. And as for coming in 2nd, he'll be crying all the way to the bank not to Murray, as he goes on tour with all of the other top ten finishers.

    As for all the other cable shows, I'd nip it in the bud now before you have to join a 12 step program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention that it is a beautiful spring day in the great San Joaquin valley, and I am sitting in the park having my lunch as I write this?

    Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... not sure about the Robbie/David A. thing -- although both are Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Scott. I haven't been outside since 9 am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that The Hills is probably scripted. And I think that we all feel good that our lives aren't as ridiculous as Heidi and Spencer's.

    I haven't gotten into Gossip Girl. I just can't get past that they are supposed to be in high school.

    BTW, I kind of like David Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched about thirty seven hours of so you think you can dance on sunday. And I was embarrassed but I loved it.


    but I have always loved tv.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have cable tv. This is a good thing because I would get sucked into all kinds of shows (I know this from experience).

    We don't get very good regular reception either. Which is probably also good,(because I have the ability to get sucked into non cable tv also) but I do wish I could watch some PBS in the evenings sometimes.

    The bad part about being able to watch a series on DVD is I will go into marathon mode. Not good for getting things done (unless I decide to sew while watching, which works sometimes)

    The only part of Amer. Id. We've ever watched is the tryouts, truly funny.

    I don't think Robbie looks like David A. (even in the engagement Photo)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have all the chanels but I still don't watch american idol. I have quite a few other shows that suck my time like, Scrubs, My name is Earl, John and Kate + 8,Survivor, crap like that. Oh well, I guess I should start shopping for a 12 step soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the Hills. I feel like i'm catching up on my youth because i didn't watch MTV is high school like you're supposed to. Just embrace the drama and be happy that its not your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should watch the first two seasons of friday night lights, like i just did. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete