20 February 2019

tell me something good

I spent a lot of time writing a post about Black History Month and my goals after thinking about this month, but in the end I just deleted all of it. Really the gist of what I want to say is that I can't be a good advocate for or ally to the black community if I'm not informed or listening. So I've spent the bulk of February informing myself and listening, and it's been transformative. I'm still getting back into the idea of my blog as a platform to talk about WHATEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT and I have so many thoughts about the state of race and racism in America and it really is on my mind all day. But I don't know how to talk about it coherently yet, so we'll start here.

I have never purposefully excluded black authors or stories about black people in my reading but I've never actively sought it out, so my goal for 2019 was to read one book per month by an author of color. February's not even over yet, I've read five books already (I think I read five books in all of 2018, yikes), and I'm excited to keep the momentum going.

I wanted to share some of what I've been reading/listening to/consuming—maybe you'll find something in here that will help change your perspective too.

READ (ed. note: these are the books I've read so far this year so it's not at all an exhaustive list; for more POC titles I've read/want to read you can see my Goodreads list here):
  • Becoming by Michelle Obama (I didn't think this one would be as impactful for me as it was but it really set a good tone for my goal)
  • The Origins of Others by Toni Morrison
  • Mama Day by Gloria Naylor
  • Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
  • The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
  • The People Could Fly by Virginia Hamilton (this is a folktale illustrated for kids but oh man I cried when I was reading it to Rhoda)
LISTEN:
FOLLOW:
  • Black Coffee with White Friends on Instagram for well-curated tidbits, musings and insights about black culture. Can't recommend this one enough—if you don't read/listen to anything else on this list at least follow this account!

Tell me what you're reading/listening to/consuming, and let's talk about it.

7 comments:

  1. Appreciate the list - I'm looking for a book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've listened a couple times to the "Spirituals with Joe Carter" episode of On Being, thanks to my mom's recommendation. I agree with you. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good. Time for me to listen again!

      Delete
  3. I have a similar goal this year! I've really fallen into a rut reading books that reflect my own experiences (and still love those), but want to move in a direction of reading to get inside different heads and hearts than my own. I'm on a run with indigenous authors and stories - revisiting Sharon Creech (holler for Walk Two Moons) and getting to know new-to-me voices (Tommy Orange, Louise Erdrich, there was a recent Longest Shortest Time episode "Must Love Fish" was really interesting). I know so little about Native history and culture - despite all that time spent at NMAI! "Cherokee America" by Margaret Verble is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recs!! And my mom loves Louise Erdrich, I've got it on Kindle so I'll have to check that out. I did a huge capstone paper in grad school about NMAI and Native "survivance" (Aaron Huey is a photographer you should check out re: his work on Lakota reservations) so it was a big part of my life a few years ago. Time for me to revisit that too.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you commented on my post a while back! I'm so happy to reconnect--through blogging--my actual favorite. I need to get back in it too. Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete