25 June 2015

i want to go back to san juan (i know what boat you can get on)

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21

Bernstein fans, rejoice at my pop culture reference.

This past weekend we took a little trip north to the San Juan Islands to camp for a couple of days. It was awesome! We've never camped with Rhoda so we were a little nervous about what was ahead for us, but she was a champ! She loved it and still talks about camping every day. (Major thanks to our friends Jake and Jordan for lending us their gear for the weekend, because that made our lives 10000% easier.) We barely fit our travel crib in the tent along with our two sleeping pads and sleeping bags, but it was worth it to not have Rhoda crawling around on us in the night. And once we realized that Rhoda would sleep through the night if we turned on the white noise app on my iPad, it was smooth sailing from there. The one drawback of camping on summer solstice weekend so far north is that it's light outside until at least 10 so it was hard to put Rhoda down at her usual time, but she was distracted enough with the rocks and leaves in our campsite that she didn't have a big bedtime meltdown and went to bed fairly easily. Anyway, unless you have toddlers and are considering camping in the near future that information is pretty irrelevant, so I'll stop now.

So the San Juans are made up of many little islands (Orcas being the main one that most people have heard of) but we ended up just staying on Lopez Island because we had heard great things about camping at Spencer Spit (it WAS great!). We decided once we got there not to try to get to Orcas because it got complicated with the ferry schedules. Also, it was much easier to find a campground there because it's not as popular as Orcas. If Orcas is everyone's favorite then I wonder if I'll be blown away if we get to visit because we loved Lopez! It's a sleepy little island and everyone waves to you when they drive by. It's really quite lovely with lots of farms and pretty views and made for a relaxing few days, even though a 25 mile bike ride and sleeping in a tent aren't really the most relaxing activities.

Photographic evidence:

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Riding the ferry over to Lopez

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Props to the Kindercone for containing Rhoda when she was having a hard time in her crib the first night

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
"Mohneen!" (Rhoda's version of "good morning!")

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
At the Lopez Village farmers market, where Rhoda got a chance to see animals she has only seen before in books

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
I begged Robbie to let me pay these girls a dollar to let Rhoda hold one of their chickens and I think he'd agree it was totally worth it. Rhoda was so into her chicken (a Silkie!) and had a really hard time parting ways with them and had a little meltdown when we left. A couple of hours later she finally admitted defeat and kept repeating "night night, chickens."

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Imagine this view on repeat. Just so pretty.

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Cute lil church

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Cute lil view

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
In the middle of the aforementioned 25 mile bike ride. I read somewhere that Lopez is pretty flat and easy to get around on, and that's not true. I mean, it wasn't that hard? But I hadn't been prepared for a long ride (but Robbie bikes that distance every day) and it was definitely hilly and I am definitely still saddle sore.

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Rhoda was super into the bike trailer. And super into wearing the helmet over her face (not pictured).

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
False advertising

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Pretty sunny

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
It was impossible to capture how pretty the scenery was. This was at one of our breaks at Agate Beach, where the residents are pretty clear about their disdain for trespassers (how many "PRIVATE BEACH" signs are excessive? Two? Ten?).

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Rhoda enjoyed helping Robbie hammer down the stakes with "Ro-rah's rock" (as she called it)

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
I'm pretty sure I took this picture because Rhoda had been laying down on the tent floor quietly for about ten minutes and when I went in to check on her she said "wye-downing!" (lie-downing). Kidspeak is hilarious, guys.

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Running free on Spencer Spit

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Cool dad Robbie rocking the baby backpack

San Juan Islands—Lopez Island, 6/19-21
Family picture featuring me in my weather inappropriate hiking gear. It was about 10 degrees warmer and not windy at our campsite where I got dressed, and by the time I got to the beach I was wishing I'd brought a jacket with me.

Till next time, SJI! And thanks, Seattle, for having so many great places to go see within a couple of hours' driving distance!

4 comments:

  1. "Bye bye" (next line in the song)

    I'm just here to comment on your references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some great novels that include the history of the San Juan Islands - and have always wanted to go there. Looks like a great little camping jaunt!! Love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whaaat- Rhoda is a little girl now! Not a baby anymore at all! She is so cute.

    How long are you guys in Seattle? I might pop up there for a visit start of August...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. All of it!

    ReplyDelete