24 April 2014

easy come, easy go

image

Next week we're moving to Philadelphia so that Robbie can start business school. To some of you that news is coming out of nowhere probably due to the fact that I'm still sort of in denial about it and it's hard to just casually bring up in conversation. Also, I never post anything on Facebook and it seems that's how people make big announcements these days.

I understand now why our friends who have left DC keep it on the DL for the most part until right before they leave. It's just hard to say goodbye. People come and go all the time, and I'm usually sad at first about it and then life goes on—new people move in, you make new friends, and it doesn't feel as sad anymore. But at the risk of sounding totally dramatic, it feels like the end of the world for me and I'm kind of having a hard time dealing with it! Today, for example, I was thinking about how much I like our mailman and how I'm going to miss him (even though he's seen me in my bathrobe like a dozen times in the past six months), and how it's dumb that I'm going to miss the mailman because we're just another house on the route for him but the other day he had a package for us and said "This one's for Miss Rhoda!" and I was like, the mailman knows Rhoda! And now I'm tearing up thinking about the freaking mailman and wondering if it would be weird if I told him I'm going to miss him when we leave.

We've lived here for five of our six married years. We brought our baby home here. We always knew that DC was going to be a temporary stop for us, but when it's all you know as a little family it makes it hard to leave. There's also a strong possibility that we'll be back after school is over, but even then, can you ever really go back to the life you had before? Every day I can think of a hundred annoyances about this house and this city that make me happy to leave (the biggest one being that noisy Rhoda has to sleep in our living room because she's been banished from our bedroom) and yet I can't imagine living anywhere else. I can't decide if it's helpful or not that spring has been incredible so far and I am just in awe at how beautiful it is in DC right now. I guess I'm happy that DC and I are parting on good terms. Our BFFs left in fall, which makes the pain of leaving a tiny bit easier since they abandoned us first (JK, Julie!), and still the thought of making new friends all over again is like, super stressful for me. Extrovert problems, you guys.

I have lots of other irrational thoughts swimming around in my super hectic brain (such as—will I ever find a book group as good as the Capitol Hill book group? a pediatrician as chill as Dr. Wirt? midwives as magical as the ones at GW? fun crafternoon buddies??) that are preventing me from writing a fitting farewell to this fair city, but I'm sure as moving day creeps closer the thoughts will fall into place. I just needed to get some of them out before I collapse in a pile of sad moving tears.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Hannah! I'm only handling this with even moderate calm by pretending it's not really happening, alternating with a mental assertion that you and Rob (see how good I was there?) and Rhoda Primrose WILL be back. Surely. Right? There will be long fetters of love binding you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also in the denial phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also did I ever tell you about the time we were at the babysitter's house (a few blocks away) & I answered their door and the mailman was dropping off a package and he said "it's the Selanders!" Whaaa! Mailmen: awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just swing over to our place when you're feeling lonely though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I have all these feelings already about new york and we're not leaving and I halfway hate its guts. Change is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll miss knowing you and Robbie are close by! But hey, Philly ain't so far. Congrats on the start of school and a new phase of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good-byes are always hard - and we will miss you living there too! Does the linen lady know you're going??

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were hoping it would be Stanford!! Oh well, guess we'll just have to make our first trip to Philly! Congrats to Robbie on getting into school :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Moving is hard. I've moved a few time in my married life and I cried each time. One of the things about moving though, I have met some wonderful people that I would not have met if I stayed in one place. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's meet up in Iceland in August and exchange war stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow huge news! Congrats to y'all! That's awesome and big accomplishment for Rob. I was so happy to see you're doing pic a week with Rhoda too. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, but you can be my inspiration. Excited to see your Philly adventures! We have some other friends doing business school there this fall. Sounds like there will be lots of sweet peeps :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats and good luck with the move! I think you should tell your mailman you'll miss him. We have introvert problems (for instance the hermit-like quality of buying everything we can on the internet), and we considered getting the UPS man a Christmas present because he's nice and we saw him (it felt like) everyday. Anyway, now a lot more of our stuff comes through the mail (our mailman doesn't come to the door) and I'm always a little bit sad I didn't give the UPS man a present back in the good old days!

    ReplyDelete