We spent part of our holiday break visiting Robbie's parents and sister in Tucson. Our old friends Jess and Abe live a couple hours away in Mesa with their baby Lennon and we had been planning a side trip with them for months. Months! And then, horror of horrors, Jess got the stomach flu the night before our meetup. I was a little bit distraught about this, but we'd already bought our tickets to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home Taliesin West so we made the trip north anyway—because I really needed to know how the heck you pronounce "Taliesin" (it's tally-ess-in). We didn't mean to make 2013 the year of Frank Lloyd Wright but it kind of happened anyway on accident. It was a beautiful day to visit the studio, and nestled up against the mountains you can see why people like to flee the frigid temps to be in Arizona (otherwise, Arizona is just kind of... brown). After the tour we dropped by La Grande Orange for a yummy lunch and then dropped by Jess and Abe's for a little bit to say hi—from a healthy distance, but at least we got to say hi. Overall, our first visit to the greater Phoenix metro area was a success! We're hoping to explore it a little more next time we're in Arizona.
I would love to go visit there - maybe I can inspire Dad!
ReplyDeleteWe Phoenicians live for this time of year. Hope you visit again soon!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the pronunciation guide! I've always wondered, and, it turns out, have been saying it incorrectly in my head for years (ta-LYE-a-sun).
ReplyDeleteIt took me seventeen years of living in AZ to start to appreciate its beauty. Certainly some parts are prettier than others, but I think it's definitely one of those places that has to grow on you on the whole (unless you're predisposed to liking deserts or something which I have never been). What did you think about Taliesin West in relation to the other FLW places you've been? It's the only FLW place I've been to. And, like an idiot, I toured it in the summer.
ReplyDelete