11 June 2013

and the rain rain rain came down down down

Le Diplomate in the rain

Hello June. Rainy, hurricaney, sticky June. Every year I'm caught a little off guard by this month, because I forget how miserable June can be. Last night I walked to the metro after dinner with a friend and the skies just opened up and poured buckets of hot, sticky rain for about ten minutes, and all I could do was laugh while getting drenched with nasty DC street water because this is just what it's like around here and I need to get used to it. But June is wonderful too, because June is when the public pools open for weekday use in DC.

This has been a really weird few weeks over at the homestead. Robbie was traveling overseas for about three weeks, and the day after he came back, I left for a trip to Minnesota with my mom and sisters (more on that later). Then he left and came back the day after I did, and then two days later we went to Chicago for the weekend (more on that later too). 

And all during that while, I've suddenly started feeling and looking very pregnant. I'm 20 weeks along now so I guess it's about time that started happening. I had to finally break down and buy a pair of maternity jeans (revelation! they are awesome), and the baby has started moving like a crazy person too. Which is really cool, but it is also a little disconcerting because it feels like something is knocking on my belly and trying to get out? Also I'm regretting telling people I've been feeling pretty good so far because suddenly I'm just not feeling super great, mostly because I have developed a cold after all that traveling and sharing airplane air with strangers, so I hope that goes away soon.

But all complaints aside, things are pretty good. Robbie is back for the time being and the weird things that usually happen while he's gone have waited to appear till he is here to deal with them. We came home on Sunday night to a legion of dead termites in our hallway that seem to have appeared out of nowhere (they weren't there when we left for my sister's house that afternoon), and then half of our bedroom flooded last night during a bout of torrential rain. Our house is just kind of a mess and smells like wet rugs and I have no groceries, but at least it's still standing and a tornado didn't hit it? (Though it kind of looks like it on the inside?) Just looking on the bright side here, people. 

10 comments:

  1. Imagine how boring it would be if nothing happened!! Was so great to see you - and looking forward to your July visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about you and wondering how you're doing and here you answered the question. :) Weird about the termites, boo to husbands being gone, but now you get to experience swimming pregnant! It's so awesome (feeling light again). I'm just so excited for you and Robbie to have a little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why maternity pants get such a bad wrap. If you find a good pair, I think they are more comfortable than regular pants.
    I forgot to ask last time I saw you, are you following suit and not finding out boy/girl?
    Glad you and Robbie are reunited. That was so long to be apart!
    And finally, let's hang out! B and I would love to go to the pool with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes!!! the pools open for the summer on june 24th (only open weekends before then, and i am not free those weekends) so let's do it. also, no we're not finding out what we're having. you must be finding out soon!! can't wait to catch up with you. maybe i should just respond to you not in a comment...

      Delete
  4. it's kinda rude to talk about looking pregnant without a picture for evidence... but I hope your cold and the wet rug smell go away soon.

    and what maternity jeans did you get? I haven't gotten any yet but always think about doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are from h&m! just plain old skinny cut jeans with a nice high waistband. i want to live in them, just not when it's hot and humid. unfortunately none of the maternity shorts are garment-friendly so i am currently sporting a pair of target shorts with a belly band (that doesn't work that well but whatever). if i find a cheap pair of maternity jeans i'll make them into cutoffs maybe (the h&m ones are $40, not too bad but still too much for me to buy them and cut them into shorts).

      Delete
    2. congrats on your pregnancy! i'm excited for you. ps this time around i went to DI and bought some super (ugly) flared maternity jeans to cut into shorts because the shorts options out there are either too expensive or too short. and i'm going to go get some more because summer is loooong.

      (pps sorry i'm still blog stalking you after all this time. you'd think i'd grow up, but no. :)

      Delete
  5. I think you young women of today should have to spend just an hour in what passed for maternity pants "back in the day." You would all be sooo grateful for progress on the fashion front today!! Nary a word of complaint would escape your lips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely no hate for the maternity clothing of today. like courtney said i think they have a bad reputation because they used to be so ugly, but now there are so many options!

      Delete
  6. Summer pregnancies are tricky, no doubt. I lived in weird dresses and skirts, and also didn't wear my G's sometimes because I just couldn't. I.just.couldn't.

    ReplyDelete