I think I've found heaven, and it's a little place called Fallingwater.
The trip to Fallingwater from Pittsburgh is pretty short, so after a quick lunch on our way home to DC, we stopped by Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece residence. The house was donated to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy by the owner's son, who was a curator at MoMA in New York and realized that his parents' awesome house shouldn't be kept from the public. I don't even really know how to describe it, and maybe people who have visited agree? You can't take pictures inside so I can't really give you a mental image, but I'm glad pictures aren't allowed—it made the tour so much more enjoyable and helped me focus on the guide and what we were looking at and the different details throughout the house (though I saw people on other tours cheating and it kinda made me mad—don't judge me for being a stickler for rules, it's just what grad school has taught me). It's just really peaceful and secluded and well-decorated and well-built and I just want to move there. I'm not going to regurgitate the whole tour (you can read about the house online if you want) but it was just a really inspiring place to walk through. As we were walking through I kept telling Robbie, "This is what you need to work toward, right?" Haha. No pressure, Robbie!
There's a FLW house just down the road from us in Alexandria (the Pope-Leighey house, which is more Usonian [Fallingwater clearly is not]) which we visited a couple of years ago with some friends (and I apparently didn't post about it?) and immensely enjoyed. Now I really want to go visit the big FLW sites in Chicago and Wisconsin—and isn't there one close to home in LA? Mom? Anyone? I can't remember.
Fallingwater is also near Ohiopyle State Park, which is really beautiful and looks like it would be super fun in the summer. Visits like this make me want to live in a cabin in the wilderness.
Thus concludes our Pennsylvania weekend. God bless the Keystone State.
Fallingwater looks pretty much like paradise! That scenery! It would be wonderful to see the inside. There's a FLW house in Scottsdale called Taliesin West if you're ever in the Phoenix area. It's the only FLW-designed property I've been to.
ReplyDeleteI remember being in love with all of the details at Fallingwater. Stunning. I loved touring the Pope-Leighey house because it's the same (small) size as our house and it was fascinating to see his use of the space and be reminded that we don't need giant houses. Just less stuff.
ReplyDeleteI am remembering something about a FLW house in LA or SoCal but want to say it got demolished?? I may have it mixed up with something else.
ReplyDeleteThe Martin house complex is in Buffalo. You should visit is there ( after we buy a house ). Lots of other really great architecture in buffalo too!
ReplyDeleteAfter a little research, I see that there are a number of FLW buildings and houses we could go see next time you are here. They are private and not open for tours, but one is in Malibu!!
ReplyDelete