"Our lives will be preserved and our souls will be saved if we live and obey the First Great Commandment [love the Lord thy God with all thy heart], and the Second that is like unto it [love thy neighbor as thyself]. Our lives will be preserved and our souls will be saved if we keep current the two emblems of these respective commitments, our temple recommends and our library cards."Here's the speech in full: A Liberal Arts Degree and the Second Great Commandment
29 April 2013
the second great commandment
Last week was BYU's graduation (which I was reminded of thanks to the flood of "school's out!"-type posts on Facebook) and I noticed that a friend of mine posted the College of Fine Arts and Communications convocation address given by Dean Duncan, one of my very favorite professors at BYU (and who apparently now has a very active internet presence??). If you aren't familiar with his often circumlocutious lecture style, then maybe this speech won't be your favorite, but I miss the guy and his media clips and his always relevant tangents and I wanted to share the speech with you. But if you hold a liberal arts degree, or you like consuming media (so, all of you?) I think you'll enjoy it. Imagine a (younger, and Canadian) Gene Wilder sort of look-alike with a quiet smirk on his face and an abiding love for rock music while you're reading it and then you're set.
Labels:
a penny for your thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the guy already!!
ReplyDeleteI liked it and this: "It's. . . the world, and it's really nothing to be afraid of." Thanks for posting it. Sadly, I never got to experience Dean Duncan while at BYU.
ReplyDeleteI read this too and I miss him too. Probably the only class I remember anything from. I had such a crush on the way he saw things and the way he talked about his family.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great graduation speech! So much food for thought... Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteYou totally hooked me at the two greatest commandments, and then pulled me in with temple recommend and library card. Bookmarked it to read. Thanks.
ReplyDelete