20 February 2013

eternal truths

The best cookies, in my opinion, are the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Joy of Cooking (omit cinnamon and nutmeg; substitute chocolate chips for raisins)—they are delicious for dessert or for breakfast. Substituting margarine for butter in a pinch does not a good cookie make. And forget about sneaking whole wheat flour into your flour mixture, unless you want to eat hockey pucks the next day.

This PSA brought to you by the sad-looking bag of yesterday's cookies on my table that tasted really good in the first twenty minutes out of the oven.

10 comments:

  1. I'd just like to second you on the whole exchanging raisins for chocolate chips thing. I even like raisins, but chocolate chips in oatmeal cookies are so good! Sorry about the whole wheat flour betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are cookies and there are Cookies. I'm happy you are taking a stand for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I'm gonna have to make these. Too bad you're not here to enjoy them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had Clayton Chocolate Chip Cookies tonight - Alice brought them. They are good. And I only ate one - and I'd better take the rest to school tomorrow!! But that one was good!!

    And raisins - well, let's just say I never met a raisin I liked - but I've met plenty of friendly chocolate chips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am definitely my mother's daughter. raisins are the bane of my existence, especially in cookies.

      Delete
  5. Try refreshing then in the microwave for a few seconds.

    Don't give up on WW in cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't do it, sorry—i've been burned one too many times.

      Delete
    2. by the WW flour that is, not the microwave. it just doesn't taste as good. kind of like romaine lettuce in a smoothie ;)

      Delete
  6. we call these cowboy cookies. and they work well with half wheat and half white flour. also tasty with m&m's or mini choc chips. or all three.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey weird, i was just thinking yesterday how the plain old joy of cooking is my very favorite cookbook. i made the senate soup yesterday (p 133).

    ReplyDelete