this view and I are getting really well-acquainted today
I don't even know what to think about Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/Snor'eastercane right now. Work was cancelled for pretty much everyone in DC so we're at home and I'm cozy in my wool socks and cat sweater. It's raining pretty consistently, not too heavy yet, but judging by what people are saying on the news it's going to reach epic proportions with flooding and winds. I just don't know what to think! Last year during Hurricane Irene we were stuck in Iceland so I don't know how crazy it really got after all the hype.
But, we're pretty prepared. Robbie and I did an emergency grocery run yesterday (I know, it was Sunday, but we realized at church that we hadn't been taking the storm warnings too seriously) and stocked up on water, which was our biggest concern. (And then Robbie picked up Brussels sprouts, which makes no sense because there's no way we'd be able to prepare those during a power outage? But that's beside the point.) And then he went back to the grocery store this morning with our friend Mark and picked up all kinds of snacks that we could have if our power does go out, AND he got stuff to make s'mores. Writing all of that out makes me feel like things couldn't be too bad if we can make s'mores in our fireplace, right? I don't know. We also have a JetBoil and lots of leftover camp dinners so we're well-stocked with food. At the very least I think we'd fare well in a zombie apocalypse.
I'm nervous/excited to be home today. And a little worried about cabin fever. (Can you tell I kind of have it already?) It's only 10:30 am but it looks like 6 pm outside so I think it's going to be a long day. And I wish that I had picked up my book at the library before it closed for the storm.
This is the most random post, but I guess I just felt like I had to write an obligatory storm post before the power goes out. Anyone have any storm survival tips? Both practical and help-we're-bored-what-do-we-do tips? I'm open to suggestions.
When the power went out last year we went to Cabelas. We were entertained for hours.
ReplyDeletemake baby.
ReplyDeletecan't wait to see how many end of july babies there are in dc.
Deletemark told me about your sweater. "hannah opened the door for robbie, and she had this giant cat head on her sweater." i laughed for a good while.
ReplyDeletewhatever, it's an entire cat!
Deleteduring our crazed storm run yesterday, I bought brussels sprouts AND s'mores stuff too. I keep trying to squeeze in activities before the power goes out (like tons of baking and movies). but it gets boring pretty quick. we printed out a ton of coloring pages for bria, and now she and sam are making their own memory game. somehow I don't think this is helpful for ways to keep you and rob entertained?
ReplyDeletethe coloring pages aren't too far off—i think robbie's about to start on a puzzle.
DeleteI'll have Jane wear her cat sweater in a show of solidarity. And we might have to eat s'mores. And in the meantime I am liking your pins on pinterest. Hope you guys stay safe and dry.
ReplyDeleteIs it crazy that I kind of wish I was there or in NY to enjoy the storm (i.e. no work). Also, ain't nothin wrong with a cat sweater.
ReplyDeleteI hope y'all stay safe. I am a bit jealous mostly because I would love a good excuse to stay home and not be able to go anywhere. But no power would kind of put a damper on things. Hopefully everything will get back to normal soon. Try shadow puppetry with candles and/or flashlights. :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you don't have a book to read! Too bad you don't have your Christmas cards - you could address them!! Do you have keyboard? You could sing. Or talk. Or watch movies on something run by batteries - I trust you stocked up on batteries!! We have no power days each year - but it's sunny and warm on those days too!! Just a little defense of SoCal!! I was telling Dad I'd take an earthquake over a hurricane any day - the waiting would do me in!!
ReplyDeleteThat said, stay safe!!