06 June 2012

assateague

IMG_5984

IMG_5985

IMG_5988
Cold breakfast s'mores because it was too windy/rainy for a fire the night before—and behold, the crumpled canopy that met its demise in the storm

IMG_6030

theo_ida

IMG_6000

theo_ida_ocean

IMG_6031
Um... every picture of Eliza's family was a variation on this theme. Foot in mouth?

IMG_6040
SWEETEST OUTFIT (in hindsight, what a great idea to bring my rain boots!)

IMG_6068

IMG_6061

IMG_6087

IMG_6064

I knew that I should have posted about our weekend camping trip at Assateague as soon as we got back, because now the details are becoming foggy. Well, the whole thing is becoming more and more funny to me, which I guess is a good thing, since I was feeling kind of pessimistic about it late Friday night.

This is what sticks out to me: we showed up to the beach, it was GORGEOUS. We set up our tent, hung out for a few hours, it got a little rainy. Waited a little longer, the torrential rain and lightning and thunder and tornado warnings in the county showed up. And then didn't go away till... I don't know, really late, like 2 or 3 in the morning. By that point I stopped keeping track because I was delirious from exhaustion and tried to fall asleep with a pillow over my whole head so that I could attempt to block out the lightning and the noise of the rain pounding on the tent. Our tent protected us from the elements (we tested it in Iceland during a crazy storm on the beach), but poor Eliza had some leaking problems in her tent. And Matt was not there because he was gone on a work trip. And the lightning was scary. (Seriously, it felt like it was IN OUR TENT—but I had a husband to cling to and she didn't, and I felt bad about that. Though I did offer to go to her tent to let her cling to me and that didn't ever happen. I'm great to spoon with, Eliza! Okay, stopping now.) So I really don't blame her for wanting to leave in the middle of the night and sleep in the car (didn't happen—I don't think you guys understand how bad the rain and lightning really were), or for wanting to leave first thing in the morning after enjoying a cold s'more. But Eliza has raised some really amazing kids who didn't wake up at all during the night, even when they were sleeping in puddles in the tent, and claimed when they woke up the next day that they had a really great time.

So. That's that.

I'm really selling this whole camping thing to you guys, aren't I? Haha. I have such wonderful memories of camping from when I was a kid! And now that we know how to do it right (i.e., good sleeping pads, sleeping bags, etc.) it's a lot more fun, and we live by so many cool places that we just want to take advantage of it more than we have in the past. And Assateague is seriously gorgeous. It's a pretty amazing place with lots of beautiful wildlife (horses, deer, turtles, rabbits, birds, the works!) and the beaches are clean and virtually empty. As you can see in the last few pictures, Robbie and I stayed for a little while afterward and soaked up the sun, which made the trip worth it. (Also—all of those pictures were taken Saturday morning between 6 am and 11 am. What weird weather.)

Maybe you can come with us next time. But I promise we'll just get a hotel if there's a chance of rain.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! But. What a pretty beach! Love the picture with the walkway. And now I want to go camping even if there is the threat of rain! Glad you didn't end up in the land of oz or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That storm was intense. I was inside a house and I was scared. You're brave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is crazy. And this place looks amazing!! And your hair looks awesome! That's my favorite way to put up my hair this past while... so easy and looks cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can confirm your spooning talents - I believe there is evidence somewhere on the interwebs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude, i can't believe that we never did an assateague trip while you guys still lived out here. :( :( :(

      Delete
    2. and, um, i can neither confirm nor deny said evidence.

      Delete
  5. It does look like a beautiful place - and now that I know it's the beach, Dad's advice - that you should have dug a trench around the tent - would probably not work - how do you dig a trench in the sand?? It's an amazing kind of story - I think it will get better through the years too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man. I love that beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love camping! I've never done beach camping, but it's definitely on my must-do list. At least rainy trips give you good stories, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your outfit was the best. And the fact that Robbie is smiling in that close-up is really, really impressive. We did something like this with Youth Conference once -- the whole torrential downpour, serious lightning, collapsing tent thing, and the teenagers were not nearly such troupers as your nieces and nephews. You guys have the best attitude and it makes everything you do look like the best fun adventure ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the right weather, camping on the beach is awesome. Brave- you are brave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will totally take you up on the camping. Ari has never been camping before--the horror!

    ReplyDelete