02 March 2012

onegai shimas

Since I gave you a Hong Kong soundtrack, here's my Tokyo soundtrack, since you'll need something to get you through this long mother post.

shibuya, tokyo

shibuya, tokyo

imperial gardens, tokyo

imperial gardens, tokyo

imperial gardens, tokyo

tokyo

bikes, imperial gardens, tokyo
(I love Japanese bikes so much)

imperial gardens, tokyo

imperial gardens, tokyo

imperial gardens, tokyo

imperial gardens, tokyo

ginza, tokyo

ginza, tokyo

ginza, tokyo

sushi, ginza, tokyo

ginza, tokyo

hello kitty, tokyo

harajuku, tokyo

harajuku, tokyo

senso-ji temple, tokyo

detail, senso-ji temple, tokyo

senso-ji temple, tokyo

lantern, senso-ji temple, tokyo

buddha, senso-ji temple, tokyo

detail, senso-ji temple, tokyo

My friend Lissa, who studied abroad in Japan for a while, wrote this in an email to me right before we went on our trip: "The only way I can describe Japan is like this: Think of the opposite of what you're culturally used to, then push and pinch and mold that notion into something completely unrecognizable. And then it's not even anything like that." And, well, that's how I'd describe it to anyone who asked. It was definitely clean and modern and amazing, but completely foreign. Hong Kong and Bangkok had spoiled us by having a population of pretty good English speakers that we could communicate with, but in Tokyo we got blank stares 99% of the time we asked a question. This was only really a problem on our first night (the rest of the time it was just funny), when I was starving and we wanted to get dinner, and we went to an udon shop and we just pointed at things we thought we wanted, even though we weren't sure what they were. Robbie ended up turning this into a game when we'd get pastries for breakfast from the bakery by our metro stop, and he'd pick one item he was sure about, and one "mystery" item. (One time it turned out to be a whole sweet potato, disguised as a roll of some sort.) Oh, and don't even get me started on the maze that is the Tokyo metro system. In hindsight, those experiences were actually really funny (I look at pictures I took of the baffling metro map and just laugh), but at the time I was super stressed out and just wanted to sit in a corner and cry. I have a TON of sympathy now for people who come to the US and have no idea what is going on because they don't speak English. Bless those people.

Anyway, we had a very short stay in Tokyo, which was too bad (again, more reasons to make a return trip!), but we got a lot done considering our only full day there (Valentine's Day) was freezing and rainy. On the night we arrived, we really only had time to hang out in Shibuya, where we encountered the world's busiest intersection (I think? All intersections in Tokyo seemed to be the world's busiest to me) and my dream store Tokyu Hands. I'd go back to Tokyo just to shop there for a day. We also darted in and out of various stores when we were too cold to keep walking and just enjoyed listening to the shopgirls stand in doorways and drone on in unhumanly high-pitched voices. So entertaining. I don't even know what they were saying, though I did catch the one Japanese word I know ("onegai shimas") in there somewhere. If you've hung out in Tokyo before then you probably know what I mean?

Moving on.

On the rainy and freezing day, we went to the Imperial Palace to check out the gardens, which was like the number one recommended place from the people we talked to. Unfortunately, you can probably imagine what a beautiful garden in February looks like. (It was beautiful in its own way.) Then the rain started coming down harder, so we took off on the metro to Ginza, which is a part of town close to the waterfront, where we sought out sushi. This was actually one of my favorite parts. We got there a little later than we planned and we were worried that all the shops would be closed, but there was this guy in a chef's hat standing outside the lone open shop that we saw, motioning excitedly for us to come in. Again, none of us had any idea what the other was saying. I was a little nervous because this place had a conveyor belt with sushi on it, but the chef was making everything fresh and handing it to us after we pointed at what we wanted on the conveyor belt. I really don't love fish normally (hence that giant, disgusting California roll above), but I actually had to fight Robbie for pieces of his sashimi. It was. So. Good. (Of course it was—it was probably alive about five minutes beforehand.) You are probably wondering why someone who doesn't like fish goes out for sushi, but you know what? I'll try anything once. Also, I really enjoyed how the chef kept saying "Salmon! Flame!" and laughing heartily while passing another plate of sushi to me. I had to eat it.

Moving on, again.

In Ginza we continued to walk around the shops and hung out in the Sony showroom (for Robbie) and at Sanrio World (for me). It's the little things, you know? We then left Ginza for promises of tempura and Muji (we may or may not have visited four different Muji stores in Tokyo? And one in Hong Kong?) in Shinjuku, metroed to Harajuku for crepes (it's a thing, I promise), and walked towards Shibuya while window-shopping at Issey Miyake and Comme des Garçons.

The next day, we had the morning to visit Senso-ji temple before we had to hop on a train to the airport.

Bye bye, Asia. See you next time.

11 comments:

  1. I went to Japan in 2005 when Jess was working at the world's fair. Um... isn't it amazing? I think the picture you have of the imperial gardens really describe Japan nicely. Oh, I guess all of them do. Anyway, all I want to say is... isn't mayonnaise on top of sushi amazing? I don't know if that's really what it is, but whatever it is, give me more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! i love your pictures. i *love* the picture of the bridge. and the swan. and the rooftops. the trees... i love it all. keep traveling please. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's it. sitting in the airport didn't cut it, we're definitely going to Tokyo on our next asian adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the temple was the last thing we did before we left asia/tokyo too. i guess we're just meant to be travel buddies. it's settled then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it fog and winter - or smog? (Dad and I were wondering?) The photos are great - you do have an eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually skip peoples' travel posts. But I love reading yours. Thanks for getting how to not make it boring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @mom, it was fog and winter! it was FREEZING. too clean of a city for it to be smoggy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hannah that picture of you and robbie in front of the bridge! adorable. and pretty. and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your pictures are seriously gorgeous. and i can't get the door out of my head. look at my ribbon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous you guys got to go to Asia. I would love to go back, but this time without a crazy itinerary (so I can actually enjoy things) and no professor telling me what to do. That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your pictures and this trip are amazing! i am seethingly jealous in a friendly, happy-for-you way.

    ReplyDelete