Don't answer that.
Anyway, one of my favorite running pastimes is putting together a playlist of music to listen to while I'm running. I love music, I sometimes love running, it only makes sense that they should go hand in hand. I've got my music mixology down to a science—the burst of energy for intro, the slow buildup, the climax, and the eventual end of the run. I have songs for all running occasions. Short runs, long runs, runs that turn into walks because you're over it... you name it! This makes the whole thing worthwhile for me. If you end a run on a good song, well, it's like you're walking/running on sunshine.
I also believe that the iPod can do lots of the work for you, with a little help from the music gods. The anticipation of finding out the song that's going to come next is so exciting. (Please let me be a dork about this—I realize it all looks very silly written out.) And it seems that my shuffle knows when to play the right songs. My favorite song to end on is "All These Things That I've Done" by the Killers and about 80% of the time, that's where the shuffle takes me. All you need to do is watch this video to understand why this is the best song to push you to the finish line:
Did I just cry a little? Sure did. I'll probably watch it a dozen more times before the race just to sufficiently prepare for my Prefontaine-esque dash across the finish line.
Moving on.
I like to divide my songs into genres. Generally speaking, my favorites consist of the "beat so intense you feel like someone is chasing you in a movie" genre, the "anthem" genre, and the "why don't I just stop on this corner and dance instead?" genre. (I often throw in a couple of songs from the "songs too slow to run to but they have a motivational beat and/or lyrics" genre, but sometimes that slows me down.) Combine these three and you've got the most fun run you've ever been on.
I do have good intentions to post my Ultimate Playlist someday. (I know I keep promising, I'm just a jerk—and I don't really know how to share music without posting YouTube videos?) In the meantime, I'll leave you with my recent favorite running song—the perfect combination of inspiration and hot beats to get me through a long run:
Moving on.
I like to divide my songs into genres. Generally speaking, my favorites consist of the "beat so intense you feel like someone is chasing you in a movie" genre, the "anthem" genre, and the "why don't I just stop on this corner and dance instead?" genre. (I often throw in a couple of songs from the "songs too slow to run to but they have a motivational beat and/or lyrics" genre, but sometimes that slows me down.) Combine these three and you've got the most fun run you've ever been on.
I do have good intentions to post my Ultimate Playlist someday. (I know I keep promising, I'm just a jerk—and I don't really know how to share music without posting YouTube videos?) In the meantime, I'll leave you with my recent favorite running song—the perfect combination of inspiration and hot beats to get me through a long run:
In closing, I'd like to say thank you for humoring me by reading this post (if you actually did). I'm sure it was completely boring to some (most) people. Also, please tell me your best running and/or motivational song, because I'm always accepting submissions.
I hope 'Maneater' is part of your running repertoire. I'm sure it must be.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh! it is, or, it was in 2007, the year of my best race time ever. but somehow it got lost from my itunes? must get.
Deleteha—FOUND it. thank you fortress mix.
DeleteOne time I ran and I listened to Swing by Pendulum. Good times. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it distracted me from the fact I was running for at least 20 seconds which I'd call a success. I also have to second Maneater, just as a tune, not because I've run to it. Good luck, man.
ReplyDeletethat commercil! sheesh. good luck hannah!!!
ReplyDeletefor some reason Heart of Gold keeps coming in my head, that and Spice Girls. Can those fit in any of your categories?
well of course, who wouldn't want to stop on the corner and dance to spice girls?? (someone without soul, that's who.)
DeleteI am no runner, as you well know, but any ABBA song gets me energized - and that's no small feat - pardon the pun!!
ReplyDeletei have no ABBA! will add tonight. thanks ma.
DeleteI used to run without music unless I was running indoors, but as I've inched my way to higher mileage, it's gotten very important to me. it's true--on a good run, my shuffle KNOWS when I'm about to go up a crazy steep hill and hits me with MGMT "Kids," which kills me every time. I think of my baby and cry and kick into gear. Totally nerdo. (Also, it's weird to me that Guster is on my list, but when "What you wish for" comes on, it gives me another wind.) I've realized that the best songs for getting me up hills or through a wall are songs that make me want to cry, sing and/or pump my fist on a country road. (Because I am on a country road.)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the long only interesting to me comment, but I just meant I get what you're saying. Good luck on your race!
ohhh "kids" is a really good one. i have no baby to get weepy over but i am definitely a weepy runner for other songs and reasons. and guster! i used to have "come downstairs and say hello" on my list... great buildup and powerful climax.
DeleteStarting out with Scissor Sisters Ta-Dah! rocks! Then add some Wolfmother or Pop Levi for a good pickup. Good luck!!
ReplyDeletebaby beluga is a personal fave for those of us that don't run with headphones... or instruments.
ReplyDeleteGo Hannah go! I'm all about total cheese music when (if) I work out. Like radio music cheese... black eyed peas etc. I also have been digging Fun's latest album. Lots of pop happy tunes there.
ReplyDeleteYou got this girl!
The week before I did a marathon I ran the worst runs of my life. You're going to do great.
ReplyDeletegood luck on your race this weekend, hannah! and i'm about to really embarrass myself right now but one of my favorite pump-up songs is boom boom by the venga boys! haha also i love electric feel by mgmt, dog days are over by florence, and bolero by maurice ravel (this one has good build up).
ReplyDeleteand i swear anyone who runs a marathon has some kind of superhuman powers. you're amazing!