21 March 2012

i wrote this in haiti, overlooking cuba

Robbie is in Haiti for a week for some work meetings. If you have talked to Robbie for more than five minutes, you probably know that he is living out a life-long dream. Well, not life-long, but maybe a dream he's had for eight or nine years. Here are some pictures he sent me for you to enjoy.

photo_house
The house (house?? mansion??) he is staying in

photo_breakfast
The food he is eating

photo_beatrice
Béatrice, the mansion's head turkey

photo_hill
A view

photo_jungle
Some foliage

photo_taptap
A wildly painted truck used as public transportation (aka "taptap")—every third world country's gotta have one!

photo_museum
An art "museum" in Port-au-Prince

photo_neg
Neg Mawon, an iconic Port-au-Prince piece

photo_palace2
The National Palace in ruins

photo_palace
More National Palace

From what he has sent me, I can tell that Port-au-Prince is a beautiful and sad place. I'm only a little jealous, really. Not jealous that he had to take malaria pills. And that he has bodyguards that sit outside his house at night. (I'm trying not to think about that part.) Okay, I'm not all that jealous. I will just sit at home and listen to my Wyclef CDs instead.

(BTW, photos were edited using CameraBag 2, a new desktop photo editing app that I'm having some fun with. Like Instagram, but with more filters and more control over what you're doing.)

10 comments:

  1. Be Jealous. In my defense, most of these pictures were taken through the window of a moving car, hence the weird lighting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh. the pictures are fine.

      Delete
    2. Actually...Robbie's right. They're pretty bad. I hate them actually.

      Delete
  2. It does look like a fascinating kind of place - almost ethereal - except that I know too much about Haiti to know that it's not ethereal. But it's certainly beautiful and intriguing.

    Be safe - I look forward to your report at some future time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those photos are amazing! you guys have been to some incredible places, at least since i've known you. can't wait to hear more about robbie's trip. must be exciting to be living out your dream, but at such a young age do you think he's peaked too soon? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What an interesting trip.

    Also, CameraBag TWO?!? I've been having fun with CameraBag for a few years and had no idea there was an updated version. So glad you mentioned it. It looks way better than the original.

    And, we tried out one of your itineraries (Textile Museum/Spanish Steps) and it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's crazy about the "security part" but what an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wasn't Jacob, that was me. (Amy) Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep thinking of the lyrics "...in the city of Port au Prince." Which song is that? Yele maybe?

    ReplyDelete