15 December 2011

it sounded like a good idea at the time


Last week I volunteered to make a pie for our work holiday party (which is today), and that didn't really hit me until about 10:30 pm last night. After a bit of whining and "WHY DID I DO THIS" I finally finished the pre-baking part at 12:30 am (yeah, it's not even done baking yet) and went to bed. It is way too early for me to be awake right now. But our house smells like pomegranate molasses so all is well.

I also had the major urge to craft this week, which manifested itself last night. I had some ladies in my ward over to our house for my second annual holiday craft night, which usually ends up being me making a craft and everyone eating lots of chocolate and guiding me in my craftiness. Last night I decided to make some tiny dancer ornaments:


I just want to carry them around in my pocket. THEY ARE SO CUTE! I am especially fond of the currently tutu-less gold sparkly one—I like to call her Eltina John. If you want to make your own tiny dancer, I used this tutorial (found on Pinterest). The most time-consuming part is making the pom-poms (and being patient enough to let the paint dry before you glue anything on or attach the pom-pom skirt), but if you have friends around to tell you funny stories and feed you chocolate butter, then it's pretty much not time-consuming at all. 

Also, when the tutorial tells you to use indelible ink for the face, please follow those instructions, or else you will end up with the predicament I faced with what Julie calls my "Black Swan" ornament (pretty sure you can guess which one)—the eyes will start bleeding with the cheeks and then you just have a freaky black-eyed mess on your hands. But she has character, that one.

6 comments:

  1. Aunt Trudy made me some little soldiers one year like the one you have - and I have always thought it was very cute - and thought I could make more of them. Too bad I can't come to your Christmas craft nights!!

    I'd want to carry them around in my pockets too - they are very charming!! (Runny mascara and all!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are so freaking cute I CAN'T STAND IT! Ok, so for pom poms I will be posting a video soon on these little plastic pom pom makers you can get at joanns for like 5$. They make things SO EASY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pie sounds ueber delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ballerinas are way cuter than the tutorial's. GLITTER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should win awards for your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the holiday craft night idea. Next year I am not going to do any big house projects, instead I want to do fun Christmas things. So I think I will try this! MAYBE!

    Or maybe I'll just invite myself to yours.

    Those ornaments are adorable.

    ReplyDelete