Anyway, the article got me and my coworker talking about the saddest scenes in movies, and it led to a really depressing YouTube search of sad movie clips. We were both so sad by the end of the afternoon that it was kind of funny. Apparently I can't control my tears while I'm at work, so I'd better be careful about that in the future. Here's my favorite sad scene:
You can't watch that clip and not feel sad. I dare you. One time I watched Dumbo with my sister in-law and there we sat, two grown women, crying like little children. Poor Jumbo. She was just misunderstood.
If you have any suggestions for sad movie clips for me to watch, I would really like to hear them. This is what I do at night when Robbie has to work late (seriously).
stop it.
ReplyDeletethe saddest moments of my childhood were when i saw the mom die in bambi, and the dad die in lion king. and i must have forgotten about this part in dumbo, because i just choked up watching that! i'm starting to think disney is a little weird for showing little kids all these sad scenes...
ReplyDeleteand when my husband is gone at night i just watch episodes of The Hills--maybe sad movie clips would be better for me haha :)
oh my gosh, i didn't even think about the lion king! i love that movie and i also tear up when mufasa dies. i'm just a sucker for a sad disney movie.
ReplyDeletewow—rachel, those are some good ones. and i laughed for a good minute or so at that link. i should have illustrated my blog with it because that's pretty much what happened today. and neverending story was also part of the sadfest this afternoon...
ReplyDeletebeaches.
ReplyDeleteit gets me EVERY TIME. my cousin and i used to go to my grandmas make a big batch of popcorn and sit and bawl through the whole thing ( a little weird for 9 year olds.)
oh and titanic... geez.. sob fest!
ohh beaches reminded me of my other favorite sad movie, steel magnolias. i watched it in bed with robbie's mom one time, pretty much the best bonding moment ever?
ReplyDeleteCan I say that I'm totally impressed by tiny little Ricky Schroder? Seriously!
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw Batman Begins in the theater, I think I must have been in some kind of weirdly sensitive emotional state, because when Bruce Wayne's dad gets shot, I started sobbing uncontrollably and couldn't stop for probably 15 minutes. And anytime I remembered it during the movie, I would start crying again.
While I'm confessing things, Bria and I watched Nanny McPhee Returns yesterday, and I got all choked up TWICE. seriously. I have no emotional stamina.
And lastly (whoa! long comment!) Sam is working tonight and I chose to watch Blue Crush, so... I'm not sure what that says about me.
Little Women - death scene for Beth - I can cry thinking about it. Also GWTW when Melanie dies.
ReplyDeleteGood sad scenes are cathartic - men don't usually like them - except in Sleepless in Seattle!
Also An Affair to remember - that's got a good sad scene.
I have only seen Bret cry 3 times in seven years, and one of the times was when we watched Steel Magnolias. I don't think anything makes me as emotional as that.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I remember seeing that dumbo clip as a 7 year old and it making me feel so sad I haven't watched dumbo since and I won't watch that clip in fear it will make me as sad as I was watching as a 7 year old (I am assuming I know what clip it is),
Amelia lost control at the end of Charlotte's Web the other day. It was the first time I've seen her cry during a movie. Why are children's movies so sad?!?!
ReplyDeletekids need to grow up tough. lions and deer die all the time, they just need to know that.
ReplyDeleteand sometimes elephants attack bratty little kids and then get banished from the circus.
ReplyDeletei'm sure i could come up with tons if i put my mind to it. right now what comes to mind: julia roberts found in steel magnolias (with the kid crying); sonora webster figuring out that she's blind in wild hearts can't be broken; david duchovny crying with his dog after his wife died in that movie with minnie driver, why can't i think of the title? return to me.
one that is SO SO SAD and makes me love harrison ford as an actor, is when he gets interrogated right after his wife's murder in the fugitive. seriously such a good scene. and heartbreaking.
and that is what i have to offer in the 80s-90s movie department.
oh and for the mormon contingent - jimmy stewart getting passed over for caroling in mr. krueger's christmas. and the old lady's empty mailbox in...the mailbox.
ReplyDeleteboth depressing
oh beth in lw just like mom "i'm not afraaaaid to diiiie" chokes me up every time. sorry, typing one handed
ReplyDeleteduh i cannot even watch that scene without curling into the fetal position. that sounds like a super depressing afternoon. please call me next time you are entering the sad youtube clip zone.
ReplyDeleteI can't even think about that Dumbo scene without crying. And when I watch Up, I sob. Stupid Disney.
ReplyDeleteDumbo and Bambi, saddest films ever! Why does Disney feel compelled to make us cry? I'm glad someone is bringing attention to this!
ReplyDelete