13 July 2011

the anacostia

IMG_0465

IMG_0454

IMG_0461

IMG_0460

IMG_0451
(Are my eyes closed? I guess we'll never know.)

IMG_0458

Last week we canoed on the Anacostia river with our Cub Scout pack—which just consisted of one Scout. But it was so fun. It was the perfect activity for Cub Scouts. We got to teach J how to correctly paddle in a canoe, AND we got to teach/show him what happens when people litter. (The Anacostia is, sadly, full of trash.) The Anacostia Watershed Society sponsors a free paddling night every other Wednesday in the summer to get people out on the river and raise awareness about it, and they even had a free BBQ for people who came. J LOVED it—so much, in fact, that his mom texted Robbie later that night and said "What did you do with J? He is SO HAPPY." Haha. 

This is a bittersweet time for the ol' Cub Scout pack. The boys were just baptized last week (hooray!) which was such an exciting thing for us to be a part of. We have really grown to love them over the past few months, and they are growing up so quickly. But Robbie just got a new calling (job) at church, which means my time might be running out with the boys. But I still think I'll always be their favorite Club Scout leader.

9 comments:

  1. only one scout?? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. I love working with kids and seeing them get SO excited about things. Seriously, I tear up almost every time I'm with my girls, just because I'm so happy that they're so happy and that we're all having a good time together. Man, I'm emotional. I love that you and Robbie get to (got to?...) work together at church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree - working together is awesome. too bad he is getting moved out of cubs, I bet you guys had a big impact onthem

    ReplyDelete
  4. the best activity I ever got to do with my scouts was having a flag ceremony where instead of doing their assigned parts they all wanted to help fold the flag. so I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. becca, we usually have two! the other was at football camp that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cub Scouts can be so much fun. The boys just like getting out and doing things don't they? We picked up trash on the green belt for pack meeting last month and Tanner was all 'that was so much fun'. Glad you are enjoying your time with them. (how great that you went to a ball game with them recently!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your blog! maybe it's the fact that your last name is Ham...mine too! and only one m! everyone always asks 2 m's right? boo. anyways i think you're great. (i believe your last name is ham?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love those orange canoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mrs. ham, my last name is actually hamill! but my sister in law likes to call me han ham :)

    ReplyDelete