Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House
Billy Collins
The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
that he barks every time they leave the house.
They must switch him on on their way out.
The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
I close all the windows in the house
and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
barking, barking, barking,
and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
had included a part for barking dog.
When the record finally ends he is still barking,
sitting there in the oboe section barking,
his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
entreating him with his baton
while the other musicians listen in respectful
silence to the famous barking dog solo,
that endless coda that first established
Beethoven as an innovative genius.
Hmm - this man might live in some neighborhoods I know about. Fortunately it's not our neighborhood - knock on wood!
ReplyDeletehannah me TOO. seriously, every morning mark and i just mutter "damn dogs" and try to sleep through it.
ReplyDeleteI bang on the ceiling with a broom a lot. It doesn't change anything but it makes me feel better.
ReplyDeleteNow that Mike works farther away and is gone for longer stretches, Mason howls and whimpers while he's gone. I think I told you this. It doesn't bother me but I do feel bad for the guy. :(
ReplyDeleteeliza, i was so confused by your comment for a second. because mason doesn't sound like a dog's name, it sounds like a toddler's name. poor mason.
ReplyDeleteI love Billy Collins' poetry! Nice choice. :)
ReplyDelete