Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard that the government is going to shut down at midnight tonight. Maybe it won't directly affect you, but since you're here, let me tell you what's going to happen to me.
Since DC's budget comes from Congress, our city will basically shut down too, i.e. no basic services like trash collection. Yay. I won't be going to work, because the Library of Congress employees are considered "non-essential" government employees. So, that sucks because even though I'm not getting paid, I'll be losing internship hours that go toward getting my degree. And then there are the other things that I could be doing with all the free time I'll likely have, like going to some Smithsonian museums or visiting the monuments/memorials, but no—those'll be closed too. Basically, if you're planning on taking a trip to DC to see the sights, you should take a rain check.
There are some upsides that I should mention. I'll have free time to work on my term papers. We aren't getting a return on our taxes this year, so it won't matter that it will take a long time for them to be filed. Robbie won't have to travel to Indianapolis for work. And I've got enough cereal to last me through the Second Coming.
So, take that for what it's worth. If anyone wants to hang out and share a bowl of cereal during the day this month my schedule is (probably) wide open. Any takers?
pardon me, it will PROBABLY shut down tonight.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. The whole budget thing is driving me crazy. If it all shuts down then our elected representatives should not get paid. Oh wait, they still are getting paid. Convenient for them, yes?
ReplyDeleteI think this whole thing is insane.
So many people in my ward are being affected too, unfortunately. :( For once I am glad that Matt is not a federal employee. (when they're not being forced on furlough they have some pretty nice perks.)
ReplyDeletedid you see people are organizing to drop trash in front of boehners house? i'm in.
ReplyDeleteKyle's schedule may look a little more free next week too..boo!
ReplyDeletecan i just have cereal with you?!
ReplyDeletethis is crazy.
too bad jacobs dad just flew out there this morning ..
Yikes, I knew the government was "shutting down," but I had no idea it affected people in DC that much!
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping that if it does indeed shut down, it gets resolved QUICKLY!
I was wondering how it would work for you.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the cereal - do you have enough milk?? Better stock up!
I LOVE CRUNCHY CORN BRAN
ReplyDeleteI saw this on Flickr before I read your post. You are so funny! I love it that your food storage is full of cereal.
ReplyDelete