I just got back from a short trip to Boston to celebrate my dad's participation in his seventh Boston Marathon. We spent some QT with my parents and my sister and her family, plus we got to see some of the sights, which was fun—I hadn't been to Boston before. Also, as I may have mentioned twenty times to anyone who has asked, we took a nine-hour Megabus ride to Boston from DC and it only cost us a dollar each. You can't beat that.
Anyway, it was a beautiful day for a marathon. The weather was PERFECT—sunny and in the low 60s with a nice tailwind. The tailwind was more for the benefit of the runners and not the spectators. Spring hasn't really sprung in New England yet, so those of us coming from warmer climates were ill-prepared for the other days of our visit that were frigid and windy. So thanks, weather, for cooperating today. I love watching races and I love it even more when I am comfortable. AND—my dad ran past Team Hoyt! I am really bummed we didn't stick around long enough to see them on the course, but I'm happy knowing that they were there. They were my favorite billboard on I-15.
We got to catch my dad at the 16 mile mark, which was a lot of fun, then we braved the crowds downtown and met up with him at the Boston Commons. Today's race was especially exciting because the world record was broken, which is pretty crazy considering that Boston's course isn't really easy. These are things you're probably only interested in if you are a marathon enthusiast so I'll stop there.
I really should go to bed. Due to poor planning on our behalf, I flew home by myself while Robbie drove home with my sister. I'm glad I didn't have to sit in a cramped car for nine hours, and I was supposed to come home and get straight to work on a presentation I have tomorrow, but I'm blogging instead. But at least I have a clean conscience about how clean and tidy my house is from cleaning it last Wednesday before we left—it smells like geraniums.
Anyway, yay Dad! Glad we could come watch you and spend some time with the fam. Now, time for bed.
It was a great day - and great to spend time with you!! See you soon!! Dad crashed for a few hours - he just woke up. Said he was sore - an understatement I am sure!!
ReplyDeletei'm so impressed with runners. I'm 24 and I couldn't do what he did. Way to go.
ReplyDeleteI was asleep by 3:30 a.m., not too bad, thought maybe my kids would sleep in. Not so much. Actually Theo is still asleep but Ida was awake and ready for the day at 7:30. Nap day today perhaps?
ReplyDeleteBTW it was fun to hang wit you too. Thanks for the mac and cheesy.
ReplyDeletemaybe one year i'll join you all in the boston family reunion. so glad all went well.
ReplyDeletegeez, how does one person run so many marathons?! impressive! and nice cowbell, robbie.
ReplyDeletemark and i saw robbie on the metro this morning. quite hilarious story, actually. and then i almost passed out, that was also fun.
your dad is pure amazing!
ReplyDelete