07 December 2010

How cold is too cold?


Well, let me give you an idea. Right now, according to weather.com, it's 32 degrees with a "feels like" temperature of 19 degrees. There are winds "gusting" at 31 miles per hour. And I still rode my bike, like a crazy person. You can't really tell in this picture (that Robbie took yesterday morning before I left for work), but I'm wearing a balaclava/ninja mask, Under Armour (on top AND bottom), clothing on top of that, plus a coat, socks, scarf, and two pairs of gloves. Oh, and my helmet. And it was still freezing on my ride to work. Today it was so windy that when I stopped at a stop light, I didn't even have to put my feet on the ground to steady myself—the wind just held me up.

I've gotten to the point that I just don't really like riding the metro any more, and I like saving $5 a day on commuting fares, that I really will ride in any weather (except for rain). But I feel a little bit like I'm torturing myself, and getting to my office isn't really a safe haven because the heat isn't working (what is with the HVAC issues in this building??). What's a girl to do? Pray for snow, that's what. Snow makes the cold prettier, at least.

9 comments:

  1. Wowee. You're intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. We've been enjoying sub 10 degree wind chills the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are my bike-inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you lived on Kwajalein and it was raining you would still have to ride your bike to get to work. But at least that was a warm rain. I think you are made of steel to do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I won't tell you that it was 68 degrees when I left Clifton at 5 p.m. tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate. The last time I rode my bike out in the frozen tundra, a suburban thought it was a good idea to pass me as closely as possible and drenched my entire left side in slush. Though it was really my own fault for riding in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are the bomb.
    brother noltemeyer of madison, wisconsin rode his bike to work EVERY SINGLE day.
    in the -20 weather. he was a trooper.
    but you do look good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No bike riding here right now, too much ice and slush. Yuck.

    I am agreeing with you on the snow though. My feelings have been (since I moved where it was cold 22 years ago) that if it has to be cold, then it should at least snow and look nice. The brown, ugly, windy cold I could do without. At least once a winter I wonder why I no longer live in CA.

    I like your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's way. too. cold. I hate the thought of going outside to put Claire in the car, let alone bike in this nastiness. You are one tough girl.

    ReplyDelete