This past week, to say the least, has been a trying one. Blah. I am spending lots of time doing things I don't really want to do and not very much time enjoying school (really, I enjoy it) or reading books or exercising or being with my family. (Usually my family just consists of me and Robbie, but this week my in-laws are here and the party has been going on without me! Saddies.) Anyway, I've been feeling a little whiny, and a lot sad.
This weekend was really nice. Richmond was beautiful and the drive was long, but it was a great getaway. (I'll post more on that later when I have my camera handy.) And church yesterday was fabulous. It was the ward Primary program, so instead of a regular Sunday service, the children in the congregation sing songs and give talks and cuteness abounds. And it was really inspiring. There are great kids in our ward, and great leaders. And the Primary president had us join in singing "I've Got Peace Like A River" with the kids, which is probably a little unorthodox because it's not a Primary song (ummm I'm not really sure what kind of song it is, but it is awesome), but I didn't care because there was nary a dry eye in the audience and it was the little boost I needed to get through the week. And then after the program was over my two Cub Scouts (who read parts that they wrote for the program) ran up to me with open arms yelling "Hannah! Hannah!" and I melted a little bit because maybe I am doing something right with the busyness that is my life.
I had the song stuck in my head most of the day, and I hummed it to myself on the way to work, and now I'm feeling a little better about what I thought would be a miserable Monday. And what do you know—if you're feeling like singing along, you can find that on YouTube.
I feel like getting up and clapping already.
At girls camp we sang "peace like a river," "love like and ocean," and "joy like a fountain," it's a little less repetitive that way, and just as heartwarming ;)
ReplyDeleteditto on the rough week :(
yeah, that's how they sang it yesterday! i thought it was really cute. and very indicative of my love that is like an ocean.
ReplyDeleteour program was yesterday too, but there was no peace like a river. more like trying not to have an aneurysm trying to control six four-year-olds on the front row of the stand.
ReplyDeletei feel that—the 1st counselor's son was all over the place and when he got up to close the meeting (the 1st counselor, not the son) he said "i'm amazed at how reverent everyone else's kids are." haha.
ReplyDeleteThe version of it that I am familiar with is more gospelly and less toe-tapping. But still charming.
ReplyDeleteWe had our Primary program too - Porter leaned over to Nadinna and said, in a stage whisper, "I don't need any help!" And he didn't!
in st. kitts the primary kids sang "we are children holding hands around the world" (prob not the real title) and jamie and i would get up and sing with them because there were so few kids and we were the teachers and that song made me bawl every time. it made the cruise ship visitors bawl too.
ReplyDeleteGreat Post, Hannah! I LOVE that your primary sang this song. I have never heard of it before, but it does leave a smile on your face. Thanks for sharing. One of the reasons we go to church is to be uplifted; to feel lighter; happier with ourselves so that we can spread that around. It seems that that goal was accomplished on Sunday! Well, and today, since it made me feel great to read about it. AND I shared your story on my blog too...I gave you credit so all my people know where it came from.
ReplyDeleteAgree 100%. That song was perfect in every way.
ReplyDelete