
Eye candy from Madewell. I love tights, I love fall, I love dresses. So I'm probably not going to buy a jumper and pretend like it's not too soon for a 90s fashion to come back (also, try to imagine that jumper but knee-length... woof), but the point is that I'm suffering in the fall clothes area. SUFFERING! I just don't want to look like I bought most of my wardrobe in high school. (Which is actually pretty accurate.)
Where do you get your (affordable) fall clothes? I MUST KNOW.
Hannah, you crack me up.
ReplyDeleteI shop all year long, and I shop sales. I am especially fond of Marshall's & TJ Maxx. Don't forget to peruse Sam's & Costco. I found the cutest argile sweater a couple weeks ago at Sam's for under $10, and it is going to be perfect for fall with a crisp white shirt under it. Last year I picked up a pair of Dansko clogs at a Birkenstock store which was going out of business. Dillard's has fantastic sales in February - especially on shoes. Sadie needed a jacket for the trek this summer, so we hit the Good Will and found a very cute green corduroy jacket, and I happened to see a pair of tan suede boots, which were super cute for fall and a bargain.
You will most likely find yourself adding pieces here and there to your wardrobe over the years while discarding old and out of date, sometimes cheap, sometimes expensive clothing. When I take out my fall/winter clothes I always go through my spring/summer clothes and purge a bit. Asking myself, "Did I even wear this this season?" Certain articles I keep on keeping, but usually part with if I haven't worn it for two years.
Just my more than 2 cents on clothing and shopping.
I agree the key is to shop year around. I'm trying to do that because--get this--a few weeks ago my husband suggested that we make room for a monthly clothing budget. I almost cried with happiness. Up until then we just hadn't been buying clothes. It's not very big (the clothes budget), but that definitely helps. I'm kind of getting back into shopping, but I really like outlet malls. I things become much more affordable there and I have a pretty big weakness for anything J Crew. Ross. Old Navy but only sometimes. Thrift stores in rich neighborhoods. Good luck. Let me know if you find something fabulous. Memories of London tell me you will. . .
ReplyDeleteI walk around Banana and J Crew for inspiration and buy cheaper finds at Marshalls, TJ Maxx AND shopittome.com
ReplyDeleteAs one who is still wearing many clothes from 2001, I really don't have any advice to offer. Which is why i will furiously stalk these comments.
ReplyDeleteFor the past few years I have gotten my fall clothes from my closet.
ReplyDeleteI think I am too staggered with you in life phases to be very helpful since I no longer look as cute or as up-to-date now, as I did (or thought I did) in say, 2005-2006.
But I don't think I look too bad even though I don't have much new stuff. Last fall the only new thing I can remember getting was my current favorite pair of jeans from Loft. I love that store. The Loft love happened around the time I officially hit mid-20s. Boden and Garnet Hill love also came into bloom. All have decent end-of-season sales which is always good for picking classic pieces.
Otherwise, thrift it, or the trifecta of TJ/Marshall's/Ross. Forever 21 and H&M for cheap trendy stuff...am I telling you anything you didn't know? not really. Modcloth is good for cheap one-or-two-seasons stuff too. I like their dresses and coats.
J. Crew outlet way out in Leesburg is where I got my favorite coat for a steal... Oh and there's a Nordstrom Rack in Fairfax now.
BTW I am totally up for the mid-'90s resurgence. I have been waiting for this ever since the mid-'90s ended!
ReplyDeleteI wish we had fall so I could wear my fall clothes - which are ancient because they never wear out because they almost never get worn!
ReplyDeletei try to do end of season sales, too, but i'm in the same boat--it's cold now and i need a sweater now. so thanks for posting this so i can get ideas, too :)
ReplyDeletefor clothes: gap, gap outlet, banana outlet, and target tend to win out for me. old navy sometimes for accessories. j crew outlet for anything if i can make the drive. i like to look at anthropologie for inspiration, as well as mod cloth and ruche (shopruche.com), which are more affordable (i've still been daunted by the online buying experience so i haven't made a purchase yet).
good luck!
does this mean you will tell us where you shop?
ReplyDeleteThe outlets always do me right. They usually have pretty good prices at most and then go over some 3-day weekend and POW, they are pretty much handing stuff away.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Okay, I might be waayyy late on this one, but you need to start reading my friend Reagan's blog, if you don't already. She's a NYC fashionista. As in she met Alexis Chung. Oh, and her hubby hangs out with John Mayer when he isn't doing paparazzi shoots for fashion week. She totally has your back with the overalls and clogs. I think you two could be blog mates. ;) www.reagansblob.com
ReplyDeleteKnee length jumpers. Yup. I feel your pain. I was 1 inch away from getting an urban outfitters/anthropologie discount when I was almost hired as a fit model last week (yes, I was literally 1 inch away, my butt was not big enough) but since that didn't work out, i will be shopping at... uh, no I wont. I'll just be reviving old bits from my wardrobe. Woo. When you come here though, we should stop by King of Prussia mall since it has a million shops and a nordstrom rack.
ReplyDeletenew favorite web sites:
ReplyDelete1. asos.com
2. lulus.com