04 August 2010

You're so vain

Yesterday I decided I would go running. I haven't run in like five months. I get tired of it, I get busy, I forget that running is hard even though I like it most of the time... you know the drill. And I didn't decide to start up again for a good reason or anything, like for my health. The reason I decided I wanted to run again was because at REI on Saturday, there was a girl working there with amazing legs. I don't usually notice things like nice legs (especially not on other women) but good grief. I almost asked her what she did for her workout but I decided that was creepy and that if she told me that she did anything other than run 1 mile a day I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

Anyway, it wasn't disgustingly hot yesterday, Robbie wasn't home, and I didn't have any homework so I decided to have at it. And I ran from our house (a couple blocks behind the Capitol) to right in front of the Capitol (I think that's less than a mile) before I felt like I was going to puke and started walking instead. And by this point the humidity was relentless and I was sweating like I had just finished a marathon. So I thought, "well, it's a nice day for a walk, I'll just walk the route I was going to run" until I realized that I'd have to walk all the way back home because there was no way I was going to start running again. So I just turned right around and made the long walk of shame back down the Mall, where hundreds of interns playing kickball and softball watched me shuffle along where I had just been confidently running.

Oh well. The view was nice.


Lesson learned: vanity only makes you nauseous. Also, as obnoxious as it is, "Rock Lobster" is a nice addition to my running playlist. Who knew?

13 comments:

  1. wow, it was super hot and humid yesterday! kudos. i really need to get back into a workout routine. my body hates me right now. since i hate running, i think my only option is to be a mall walker with all the grammies and grampas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, the fact that it was overcast was so deceiving. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos for trying. Ben went running early this morning and said the humidity was awful. I haven't come up with anything important enough to get me out of the house (a/c) today.

    p.s. I love the couches. Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:28 AM

    I like how you have a night to yourself and no homework and you go running and I on the other hand cook two pounds of spaghetti and bake muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i once tried to go running with josh. i made it only 1 block, and walked the rest.

    should i even publish this comment? how humiliating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you for trying! at it's awesome that you can say you were 'sweating like you had just finished a marathon' and you know what you are talking about. (:

    maybe for future (cooler weather) runs, this website will be helpful - mapmyrun.com except they just did a new website which is nicer and i think it's - beta.mapmyrun.com. it's awesome. you type in your zip code and it brings up your neighborhood. you can click on the map to get a route and it tells you how long it is, and what the elevation changes are. it's pretty sweet. maybe you already know about it. it changed my 'running life' forever. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps - i'm kind of jealous that you know naomi... i've been kind of stalking her blog for a while, and love it. (:

    which reminds me - a good indoor workout alternative is the physique 57 dvds. holy cow. i've only done them a few times, and it kicks my rear every time. i heard about them from another girl i kind of blog stalk... (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. eden--i knew about mapmyrun because robbie used to use it! then he converted to logyourrun because he liked the interface better. THEN i got him a garmin for his birthday and he doesn't need to use either anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is all to say, i am not a serious enough runner to get my own garmin, so i think i'm going to start using an online service like mapmyrun or logyourrun. although robbie's garmin has a heart rate monitor which is super cool...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i haven't heard of logyourrun. i should check it out. i have a garmin too - love it! - but not one with a heart rate monitor. once i was ready to do my 1st half i decided i was 'serious' enough to use something like the garmin. it totally died on me right before my half was about to start which really, really stunk, but then amazon sent me a new one for free which was awesome. used it for the marathon and loved it again! (: (i'm pro-garmin, in case you couldn't tell)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started running for the first time in my life because of the utter terror I felt of getting old when my grandma had bypass suugery. I decided I wanted to be a healthy old lady. Suffice it say that that's worn off a bit, and now I run (and walk--do I really have to feel ashamed for walking every once in a while, really?) for vanity--not that it's done too much for me so far. I'm too whimpy. If you figure out how to get gorgeous legs, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happened to me at the gym this week. thought i'd get fancy and run faster than i can. of course the speed control button got stuck. could not stop. felt like an idiot. you're pretty daring to even attempt to run outside in the d.c. summer. i can't even walk in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good story. No really, I was thoroughly entertained and it increased my self-worth because I thought 'Oh Hey if a marathon runner can have a hard time running, then of course I'm going to'. I feel better. thank you.

    ReplyDelete