Some time ago I read this post on how to hem jeans in 3 easy steps and I mentally filed it away for a future project. I don't usually have a problem finding jeans that are the right length, but I had two pairs of jeans in mind that really needed the hem treatment:

The sad part is that I'd had them (and worn them) for so long without hemming them. I looked like I was trying to be a Jet or a Shark (but a lot less cool) with these ridiculously hugely cuffed pants:
In my defense, I bought the above pair of jeans in 2006, and maybe it was cool back then. (Um, actually... probably not.) Also, I bought them in London (on sale, I wouldn't have bought ridiculously long pants for more than whatever I paid for them) and I'm pretty sure I tried to convince myself that it was going to be a fad that I'd bring back with me to America. Yeah, no. The other pair of jeans I love because the back pocket has a little bird embroidered on it. And I bought them for a song at Nordstrom Rack.Anyway, this post is just to tell you that the tutorial is SEW easy and that if you have hem problems, you can easily fix them:


And it's nice because it doesn't really look like you've hemmed the jeans (it keeps the original hem). Just don't look too closely. Also, I'd suggest pressing the hem when you are done.
I'm feeling inspired now that I've read the manual of my mother-in-law's sewing machine, and now I can fill the bobbin with confidence. My next project is to make a sewing machine cover. (If I can find where my mom's pattern went... sisters? Where is it?)
i'm just waiting for moi et mon weekend.
ReplyDeletei saw the same post once! and filed it away, too! cool. but i usually just hem the old-fashioned way. (yes, i usually hem. i don't even bother looking for length anymore, although every now and then i find some short-legged-people pants.)
ReplyDeletei finally did it that way on a pair of black skinny jeans about a month ago, and i really like how they turned out, but the big fold on the inside is kind of cumbersome. maybe if i didn't need such a significant hem it wouldn't be so noticeable.
and i love bacon.
i made a pasta with bacon in it on Monday and I put on my jeans this morning and they smelled like bacon. was i upset? no, more like delighted.
ReplyDeleteand this comment should have been under your last post. buuut, i mention jeans so i think its okay.
ReplyDeleteThey seriously look great! and I love your shoes too!
ReplyDeleteI did this a couple of weeks ago! I like the way they turned out for me, but I don't know how Nordstrom does their "fancy hem" because it's perfect. I have a pair of Joe's jeans that are "petite cut" but other than that almost all jeans I buy need to be shortened. I wish I had your legs.
ReplyDeletemelissa--i cut off the excess flap because the bottoms were WAY too poofy. one day i'll zig zag stitch them. maybe.
ReplyDeleteelisha--thanks! i got them on sale at gap.
hey, i got those on sale at gap too! naturally. i also have been waiting for a chance to use this trick. good job.
ReplyDeletewhoa, i read the comment above yours, "i wish i had your legs" and then thought your response was "thanks! i got them on sale at the gap."
ReplyDeletethis is great. i need to try it!! i found a seamstress in monrovia that would do it for ten bucks so i never got around to fixing all my jeans.
ReplyDeletei cant wait to mess this up- which i will, guaranteed.
Like one of the commentors on the tutorial, I've been sewing and hemming jeans for a lot of years - wonder why I didn't think of this!!
ReplyDeleteAnd the onesie dresses are darling!!
That is a good idea...definitely should have done this with my old jeans that I ended up turning into cutoffs because the hem looked so bad.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I no longer buy clothes if they have to be altered. I just never get around to doing it or finding someone to do it. This realization has made my life less stressful. Also, Ann Taylor Loft, Old Navy, and Gap have great selections for short-legged people. Sometimes they don't have the right size for me in stores but "ankle" and "short" sizes are always available online.
Last I heard, Mom has the sewing machine cover pattern. At least, I gave it back to her a couple of years ago.
Hannah, this is Chris Jones' wife Amanda. I have been blog stalking your GREAT blog for a while... but I just wanted to say thanks for solving a huge dilemma in my life... too long pants! I am going to post a link to this on my "crafty" blog so I will have it for future reference too!
ReplyDelete