Saturday was fun. We started out with a trip to Regents Park (right by our hotel) and breakfast with the birds. (I love birds [except for pigeons]. More on that later.)
Robbie loves weeping willows.Afterward we met up with Mary Helen and Valeria again for gallery strolling, vintage shopping at Brick Lane, and breakfast for lunch at The Breakfast Club. Yum. The weather wasn't really on our side that day--we had originally intended to meet for a day in the park, but it was pouring rain by the time we met them. Sad, but we didn't stop till we got enough. And FYI--hot chocolate in Paris sucks, but I had it three times on Saturday in London and it was always good. Curious.
This bathroom had Strawberry Shortcake wallpaper (who is called "Charlotte aux Fraises" in France... mouthful, right?) and the other ones had Fraggle Rock and He-Man wallpaper. Cool.


After our rendez-vous with MH and Valeria and friends, we wandered around the city looking for something to do. The weather was crummy and everything was closed, so we just improvised for a while. We ended up walking around the touristy sites that Robbie wanted to see, starting with Trafalgar Square, walking through the Whitehall District, going back up to St. James Park (pelicans!!!!!!) and Buckingham Palace (which never ceases to underwhelm me), to Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square, and ending at Hummus Bros in SoHo. A note on Hummus Bros--I subsisted almost solely on variations of pita and hummus sandwiches when I lived in London. How did I not know about this place?? It's super cheap, and so good. I could make meals out of hummus for the rest of my life. And a note on The Village, which is a classy gay bar across the street from Hummus Bros--there were at least five men in baseball hats and their undies dancing on tables in the windows for all the world to see. Thank you, SoHo.





The end!


I so want to go to London again - it could happen!
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous you got to go to London!! Someday...
ReplyDeleteMom--you've been to London?? Since when?
ReplyDeleteThanks again for a great walk thru your travels. Love it!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat! No pictures of the men dancing in their undies?
ReplyDeleteWhen I went to school in Grenoble, we drove through Holland and Belgium and took the boat to London - my friend had bought a VW and it was shipped from Rotterdam. We spent about 4 days in London - that's when I chose to see Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl instead of going to Stratford on Avon. What I mostly remember about London was the terrible food - and the hairdresser I went to - I'd been afraid to go in France for fear they wouldn't understand me!! That photo of me in an airport is in Heathrow. We also went and visited the home of Charles Dickens - and we went to church at the Hyde Park Chapel.
ReplyDeleteThe things you don't know about me!!
Thank you for your pictures and comments. We love your sharing your adventures with us.
ReplyDeleteSo, is there terrible food in London as your mother stated??
omg where have you been having bad hot chocolate in Paris???? Hot chocolate is one of the things I miss MOST about France!!! I'm appalled. Maybe because it's more bitter? Sometimes you have to put sugar in it.
ReplyDeleteHave you had it at Berthillon? It will be on the expensive side (and I'm actually not 100% sure they'll have it during the summer), but I will be crushed if you leave Paris having had only bad hot chocolate.
Alex--haven't had it at Berthillon yet but we did have it at Angelina, which is supposed to be the world-famous one I guess. Anyway, it was good but it was really hot outside the day we had it. Also, normally it's 7 euros. No thanks. We got it to take out for 3 euros I think. And it was basically a melted chocolate bar. We also had really good hot chocolate in a place in Passy. And we like the bitter chocolate. It's just that most of the time the hot chocolate is just steamed milk with some powder tossed on the top. And it costs like 3.80.
ReplyDeleteYou just shouldn't have to spend 7 euros for good hot chocolate!!
Ok I understand now, and I agree that it is too expensive - everything in France was less expensive when I was there, pre-Euro, pre-chute du dollar.
ReplyDeleteAnd come to think of it, I mostly drank it at this one place near my house, which was way out in the suburbs (Noisy-le-Grand) and just happened to be amazing. So perhaps my comment was premature. Excuse me.