05 June 2009

I go out walking

I just finished a video chat with Eliza, Theo and Ida (Ida was crawling!! Sort of!!) and Eliza said, "Do you ever go out and just walk?" and I had to laugh. That's pretty much what I do. I walk. Here are some things from walks on the past few days.

La Madeleine: one of Napoleon's (many) gigantic Roman-esque monuments to himself-turned-Catholic church. It is quite a sight, and apparently it has the best organ in the city. I'll have to go check that out.

A stand from the flower mart in front of the Madeleine, open every Tuesday and Thursday. So gorge.

Random act of bike cruelty.

Robbie wondering why a huge cargo thing came through the Métro station instead of our train.

A giant head wondering what it was doing in the Luxembourg gardens.

Ladurée wondering why it was closed at 7 pm, thus preventing me from satisfying my macaron craving. By the way, this location is the original Napoleon-era Ladurée salon.

Some macarons wondering why they were in the window and not in my mouf.

We decided to satisfy our cravings with some delicious treats from another place with nice wrapping. Patisseries are really great for wrapping beautiful pastries in beautiful packages.

See? Beautiful.

A sweet hat from the John Galliano store's window display. I know there are a few readers who will appreciate it.

The Opera. It's hard to get a good shot of it, but it's a pretty amazing building.

Okay, this requires a little bit of explaining. This is an example of the most recent Fete de Maman Sephora ads that are funny for a couple of reasons. 1) That woman is wearing a "baby on board" tank top. And sexy thigh highs. Where is the evidence of the baby on board? I doubt she has even held a baby in her lifetime. Am I right? 2) I think that by law, any ad that has English on it has to have a translation in small print at the bottom. I didn't get a great shot of this one, but there was a small blurb at the bottom that said "bébé à bord" (in case no one understood what the shirt said), and there was also a French translation of the phrase "pretty maman" (which is... "jolie maman"). The French are all about preserving the language, I know, but I think that it goes a little bit overboard, since I am pretty sure that 90% of Parisians speak English as well. If they tell you otherwise, I think that they are lying to you.

Okay, maybe it wasn't that funny. But I laugh to myself every time I see a little asterisk explaining the tagline. "Oh, so 'very important' means 'très importante'!! Thank you for enlightening me."

And... that's all.

6 comments:

  1. Have you had any Parisians snub you for being American?
    That poster is such a joke. Did you ever see that MOTHERHOOD shop in University Mall, Provo? It had maternity t shirts with MOTHERHOOD IS HOT! on them... bleughhhhhhhh I dont know which is worse. Anyway, whats up with Sephora? They're making make up specifically for pregnant women slash mothers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only asked if you go out and walk because I was wondering why you were chatting with me in the middle of the day. I mean, I have an excuse since the places in walking distance of me include a storage unit, some auto body shops, a Harley dealership, and 7-Eleven. Let's not forget IHOP, Ruby Tuesday, or Bowl America.

    However, if I were in Paris, I might wish I were here instead, with the chance to walk to Enterprise car rental, Home Depot, or Dunkin' Donuts.

    Mmmmm...probably not actually...

    I understand the need for down time, though. When I lived in Vienna I didn't go out walking all day long...plus I spoke the language so it was different. I just didn't want you to get me wrong, hence my long explanation here.

    OPERA HOUSE! c'est pretty.

    (translation: it is pretty)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by the way. After re-reading my comment I realized that someone might ask why I was at home at 9 a.m. joking about walking to FedEx Kinko's, Payless, or the OTHER 7-Eleven when I could have walked to the metro and gone to DC to look at some monuments and museums. So I guess it's all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh. the flowers! i have one pass miles. I want to drop everything and come to paris right now! humid summer in paris is way better than humid summer in houston, i can only presume (: Love the walking tours.thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just envy the fact that you can walk!! My knees are not back in walking shape yet and it's a bit discouraging.

    So I'm glad to walk vicariously with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definately need to check out the organ. I love classical (baroque) organ music.

    Oh, the pastries. Can you send some??

    Good for you for taking walks and taking in the incredible sights.

    ReplyDelete